Man who permanently scarred stranger jailed for 32 months

Scott Ferguson, 34, pounced on Dean McLean near Glasgow Central station in July last year.

A man who permanently scarred a stranger in an unprovoked attack has been jailed for 32 months.

Scott Ferguson, 34, pounced on Dean McLean near Glasgow Central station in July last year.

The victim was struck over the face with a glass bottle and scarred for life.

Mr McLean had alleged history with Ferguson’s three friends who were with him that day.

Ferguson pled guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court to the assault on Mr McLean to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement.

He was sentenced by Sheriff John McCormick who told him on Friday: “This was an unprovoked assault with a bottle on Gordon Street to the victims’s severe injury and permanent disfigurement.

“The victim was unknown to you, but had a quarrel with people you were with, and this had nothing to do with you.

“He required stitches on his lower and upper lip which will leave scarring.

“Due to the nature of the location of the assault and the injury to the victim, the appropriate sentence would have been four years but because of your plea of guilty I will reduce this to 32 months.”

The court heard Mr McLean was approached by Ferguson and his three friends near the train station.

Prosecutor Lauren Staunton said: “When Ferguson approached Mr McLean he raised his arm and struck him with a glass bottle on the face.”

Ferguson fled the scene while Mr McLean went for help at a Co-op shop nearby where a 999 call was made.

Mr McLean was rushed to Glasgow Royal Infirmary for treatment.

He required 26 internal and external stitches for wounds to his top and bottom lip.

Miss Staunton added: “The doctor said the injury will cause permanent scarring.”

Police later received information from Crimestoppers in September that Ferguson was responsible for the attack.

Ferguson was arrested by officers after he was identified on CCTV.

Lawyer Ian Sievwright, defending, said: “There had been prior incidents between the three men Mr Ferguson was with.

“There had been fighting previously but not on that day.

“Mr Ferguson was told about this when there was a chance meeting just prior to the assault.”