Man tried to stab victim to death after asking for glass of water

Christopher Simpson stabbed Darren Martin multiple times at the victim's home in Glasgow during August 2020.

Man tried to stab victim to death after asking for glass of water iStock

A man who tried to stab his victim to death after asking for a glass of water has been jailed for six years and eight months. 

Christopher Simpson left Darren Martin with more than 20 injuries after repeatedly stabbing him at the flat in Castlemilk, Glasgow on August 20, 2020.

The 34-year-old carried out the unprovoked attack after asking Mr Martin for a glass of water.

Simpson pled guilty to an attempted murder charge at the High Court in Glasgow.

Judge Sean Murphy QC told him at Wednesday’s sentencing that he was “a risk to public safety.”

The judge added: “You have pled guilty to an extremely serious charge.

“This involved multiple stabbings to the victim.

“You have five previous convictions for assault – one of which resulted in 20 months in custody.

“This was a sustained attack on the victim who sustained 20 blows while you were armed with a knife.

“This could have had far greater consequences.”

Simpson was also put under supervision for four years upon his release from prison.

Prosecutor Colin Edward told an earlier hearing that Mr Martin had met Simpson before and allowed him into his flat.

The victim later refused to drink alcohol with Simpson and asked him to leave.

Simpson then asked for some water before he left.

Mr Edward continued: “As Mr Martin stood at the sink, Simpson stabbed him twice.

“He then repeatedly stabbed him on the head, neck, body and arm.

“Mr Martin believed it was with scissors or a knife that he had hidden.”

The terrified victim begged him to stop adding: “You are going to kill me.”

However Simpson ignored him, put the man in a headlock and carried on with the assault.

Mr Edward said: “Simpson did not say a word throughout.”

Simpson eventually stopped and the bleeding victim broke free.

The court heard he suffered a series of wounds including to his chest and abdomen.

Mr Martin had a punctured lung and also needed a blood transfusion.

He remains affected by his ordeal and has limited movement in his arm.

Mark Moir QC, defending, told the sentencing: “He accepts he did not act in self-defence but he says there was an issue over debts.

“He fully accepts there was no justification for the actions he took.

“He expresses his remorse and regret for his actions…and it could have been even worse.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code