Man seriously injured after fall from high-rise window

Emergency services were called to Linkwood Crescent, Glasgow, on Monday night.

Linkwood Crescent: A man fell from a first-floor window. © Google Maps 2020
Linkwood Crescent: A man fell from a first-floor window.

A man was taken to hospital with serious injuries after falling from a window of a high-rise flat in Glasgow.

Emergency services were called to Linkwood Crescent in Drumchapel at around 7.20pm on Monday.

A 29-year-old man had fallen from a first-floor window and was seriously injured, police said.

He was taken to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital. The incident is not believed to be suspicious.


A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Around 7.20pm on Monday, May 3, a 29-year-old man was injured after falling from a first-floor window at a property in Linkwood Crescent, Drumchapel.

“He was taken to Queen Elizabeth University Hospital with serious injuries. There are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding the incident.”

Mother’s fundraising plea to help daughter be able to walk

Four-year-old Ella has diplegic cerebral palsy and her family hope she can have surgery next year.

Tree of Hope via Email
Ella: Plea for funds to help youngster be able to walk.

A mother whose fiancé died suddenly of heart failure at the beginning of the pandemic needs to raise £35,000 to help her four-year-old daughter walk.   

Ella and her twin Aaron were born prematurely at 26 weeks and aged two, Ella was diagnosed with diplegic cerebral palsy and uses a walker to get around.  

Mum Jennifer Faulds, 45, is hoping her daughter can have Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy surgery in early 2022.

However the family need to raise £35,000 to cover the specialised physiotherapy Ella will need after the operation.  


Jennifer recently relocated to Bearsden, East Dunbartonshire where her Mum lives after the sudden death of her fiancé Alex Williams, 47, in May 2020, just before they were to move into their dream family home in Hither Green, London, with their twins.   

“Alex had heart problems which were being monitored but his hospital check-up just before he died was cancelled due to Covid,” Jennifer said.

“One day he went round to his old flat which he still owned and never came back. His brother found him dead with the TV still on.

“I realised I would need more support, especially with Ella’s surgery coming up, so once I’d checked that her needs could be catered for here, I cancelled the house purchase and have temporarily moved in with my mother while I look for something to buy.


“People have been incredibly helpful – I recently bought Ella a special trike but it was in Portsmouth and the delivery charges I was being quoted were shocking. But then The Home Removals Company who looked after our move from London to Scotland offered to bring it up for free – even picking it up from Portsmouth.’ 

Tree of Hope via Email
Ella with twin brother Aaron

“Ella is a typical four-year-old who likes Paw Patrol and PJ Masks and loves putting on shows for us with characters from these programmes. 

“She also loves horse riding with Riding for the Disabled. Her brother Aaron is very sweet and gentle with her, bringing her things that she can’t easily get for herself, for example.

“But it is frustrating for her not being able to do everything he is able to do and while she will never be able to do everything he does, the operation and following physio may allow her to walk independently and enable her to do so much more.”

Following the operation Ella will need private physio up to five times a week for at least two years.  

The family are being supported by Children’s charity Tree of Hope, which helps families fundraise for children like Ella with healthcare needs and provides charity status to benefit from gift aid, corporate support whilst also providing donor reassurance.   

Tree of Hope CEO Gill Gibb said: ‘“We are delighted to be supporting Jennifer in her fundraising and wish her and her family all the best.”


To support Ella, please visit the Tree of Hope website.

Badger cubs rescued ten days after mum killed by car

Bracken and Bluebell are now being cared for at Hessilhead Wildlife Rescue Centre until they're ready to be reintroduced into the wild.

Scottish Badgers via

Two orphaned badger cubs have been rescued ten days after their mum was killed by a car on the road.

The dead animal was discovered in South Lanarkshire by a volunteer at Scottish Badgers who realised the female was still lactating and likely had dependant cubs.

Volunteers of the Scottish Badgers South Lanarkshire branch started looking for any nearby setts where the cubs could be.

The Operations Coordinator for Scottish Badgers said: “Fortunately at this age, cubs are big enough to be able to come above ground, and after monitoring a suitable sett, two small cubs were seen above ground looking subdued and out during the daytime.


“Trail cameras were put out, and while another adult was found to be present, there was no sign it was assisting feeding the cubs.

“One cub was caught almost straight away, however the second one took a full week before finally being caught on Tuesday morning.”

The cubs have been named Bracken and Bluebell and are currently safe and well at Hessilhead Wildlife Rescue Centre.

“These cubs came in weighing two kilograms, and will be reared until they reach between eight and ten kilograms.


“When they are old and big enough they will be re-released back into the wild.

“This will happen at an undisclosed location as unfortunately badgers are still heavily persecuted. 

 “After spotting a badger alone during the daytime, away from a sett, people are urged to call their local wildlife rescue or the SSPCA and not attempt to rear them themselves, as they are still wild animals.”

Man charged over quad bike crash after passenger injured

A 31-year-old man has been arrested and charged in connection with the incident.

Mrdoomits via IStock
Crash: Passenger treated in hospital for serious injuries following the incident.

A man has been charged following a road crash involving a quad bike which left a passenger in a serious condition in hospital.

The crash occurred on Thursday around 6.45am on the roundabout at Kenilworth Avenue, Wishaw, near the junction with Lammermoor Terrace.

The passenger of the quad bike sustained serious head injuries and is being treated at the Queen Elizabeth II University Hospital in Glasgow.

The 36-year-old remains in a serious but stable condition.


A 31-year-old man has been arrested and charged in connection with the incident.

He is due to appear at Hamilton Sheriff Court at a later date.

Sergeant Scott Sutherland, of the road policing unit, said: “I would like to thank everyone who assisted us in our investigation into this incident.”

Airport gives heads-up for increased military flight activity

The public has been warned to expect war planes to be performing manoeuvres throughout May.

Thomas Faull via IStock
Chinooks: Resident spotted the aircraft hovering above Prestwick in March.

A pensioner is delighted Prestwick Airport has let residents know in advance there will be more military flights in the area this month. 

Martin Dorans, an unpaid carer, raised concerns about a lack of notice regarding low flying aircraft at night in the town. 

Speaking on behalf of a number of residents, the community council member appealed for a heads-up on future exercises.

And his concerns seem to have been addressed after the airport issued an update on Thursday, May 6, telling people to expect more war plane activity in the coming weeks. 


Mr Dorans, 68, said: “I would like to thank Prestwick Airport for having the courtesy to inform us about future military activities.”

He described seeing three Chinooks hovering above the Prestwick area up to 10.30pm during an evening in March.

Mr Dorans said there had been half a dozen incidents since January up until then.

It is understood the helicopters were taking park in defence training operation Exercise Chameleon.


A Prestwick Airport social media post said: “Glasgow Prestwick Airport would like to make local residents and the general public aware that throughout this month, May 2021, and the beginning of June there will be an increase of Military flight activity around the airport.

It added: “The airport will be supporting UK and NATO Military training exercises.

“Glasgow Prestwick Airport will work alongside personnel taking part in the exercises to ensure there is minimal disruption to local residents during this period.”

Story by local democracy reporter Sarah Hilley

Vote count falls silent in memory of hundreds killed in blitz

On May 6 and 7, 1941, German bombers attacked Greenock and the surrounding area.

Inverclyde Council via Inverclyde Council
Provost Martin Brennan laying a wreath for the 80th anniversary of the Greenock Blitz.

An election count fell silent in memory of the Greenock Blitz in which 271 people lost their lives when 350 German bombers flew over the town on May 6 and 7, 1941.

This year marks the 80th anniversary of the raids which targeted shipyards but dropped bombs over residential areas.

More than 10,000 people were injured and thousands of homes destroyed across the area.

The election count at the Waterfront Leisure Complex fell silent at 11am as those in attendance observed a local minute’s silence.

Inverclyde Council via Inverclyde Council
Inverclyde Council chief executive and returning officer Aubrey Fawcett speaks before the minute’s silence in respect of all those affected by the Greenock Blitz (Inverclyde Council)

In a ceremony scaled back in accordance with coronavirus restrictions, Provost of Inverclyde, councillor Martin Brennan, laid a wreath at the blitz memorial in Greenock Cemetery on Friday morning.

Provost Brennan said: “While Greenock bore the brunt of the bombings, the events of the sixth and seventh of May 1941 had a devastating impact on communities and families right across Inverclyde.

“Although the Covid-19 crisis won’t allow us to mark this dark chapter in our history properly, it’s vital that we don’t let this milestone anniversary pass without remembering those who were killed, as well as the many thousands more who were affected by this awful tragedy.

“I hope everyone can take a moment today to observe their own moment of solemn reflection as we remember the Greenock Blitz.”


Speaking ahead of the minute’s silence at the count, returning officer and Inverclyde Council chief executive, Aubrey Fawcett, said: “The sixth and seventh of May marks the eightieth anniversary of the Greenock Blitz.

“As we count votes for the Scottish Parliament in peacetime, it is important that we do not let these two days pass without acknowledging the tragedy that befell our area during World War Two.

“The raids by German bombers over these two nights targeted the shipyards and berthed ships around the town.

“However, the brunt of the bombing fell on residential areas across the town.

“Over the two nights eighty years ago, 271 people were killed and over 10,200 injured.

“Many of those were children and entire families were lost.

“Nearly 25,000 homes suffered damage and 5,000 were destroyed outright including many within a very short walk of where we stand now.


“As a mark of respect please join me in marking this occasion to hold a local minute’s silence to remember those who tragically lost their lives 80 years ago in the Greenock Blitz.”

Little girl reunited with wheelchair after stolen car found

Three-year-old Alba McCulloch's mum had packed her chair into the family car but the following day it had disappeared.

Katie McCulloch via Submitted
Alba's chair is specially customised with designs on the wheels.

A little girl whose wheelchair was stolen along with a family’s car is “delighted” to have it back.

Alba McCulloch’s mum had packed her and her twin brother’s nursery bags into the Range Rover on Tuesday night but on Wednesday morning the car had disappeared.

Katie McCulloch told STV News: “We were shocked and heartbroken to find someone had stolen our family car.

“Having them steal the car with the chair in it ment Alba had no way of getting about on her own.

Katie McCulloch via Submitted
Alba’s chair is specially customised with designs on the wheels (Katie McCulloch)

“We worked so hard to afford that car and it was a special treat we got ourselves after a terrible few years, for someone to just take it was gut wrenching.”

Police said the white Range Rover was taken from outside the family’s home in Kilmarnock sometime between 6.30pm on Monday and 8.25am on Tuesday.

When Mrs McCulloch shared an appeal on social media word spread quickly about how the theft had impacted on three-year-old Alba who needs her chair due to a spinal cord injury which left her paralysed.

The theft also meant the McCullochs were without a car to take the kids to a number of hospital appointments.

Katie McCulloch via Submitted
The family’s white Range Rover Sport was stolen from outside their home (Katie McCulloch)

Alba’s chair was specially customised with designs on the wheels, but the family resolved to get Alba a new chair and make it “even more gorgeous for her”.

However, the car was found abandoned in Dreghorn, near Irvine, in the middle of the road with the front door open and the hazard warning lights on, Mrs McCulloch said.

The number plates had been removed but there was no damage to the vehicle and Alba’s wheelchair, and the children’s nursery bags and jackets were as they had been left.

On Wednesday, Mrs McCulloch said: “Words can’t describe how happy and emotional we are.

“[Alba] was so happy to get [her chair] back the wee soul. We have one absolutely delighted little girl this morning.

“Thank you to the person who found it and called it in and to everyone who shared the post and got word out. We are overwhelmed at the response this got.”

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “We can confirm the vehicle has been recovered and the child’s wheelchair has been returned to the family. Enquiries are ongoing and we thank the public for their support.”

Murder investigation into death of man after house fire

John Dalziel, 47, was found seriously hurt in a home in Paisley on Thursday.

Police Scotland
John Dalziel died in hospital after being found seriously injured in a house on fire in Paisley.

The death of a man who was found seriously injured in a burning Paisley home is being treated as murder.

John Dalziel was discovered badly hurt in a property on Whites Bridge Avenue in the town shortly after 10.05pm on Thursday, May 6.

Emergency services were called to the house after a report of a fire. The 47-year-old was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital where he later died.

Police say there were a number of people around at the time, some of whom may have responded to the blaze. Officers want to hear from anyone they have not already spoken to.


A website has been set up to allow members of the public to send information directly to the Major Investigation Team dealing with the murder enquiry.

Detective chief inspector Stuart Grainger, of the Major Investigation Team, said: “We are working to establish the full circumstances of what happened and our thoughts are very much with the family of Mr Dalziel at this difficult time for them.

“If anyone saw anything or heard anything before or after the incident that might help with our investigation then I would urge them to come forward, no matter how insignificant you might think the information is.”

Anyone with any information that may be useful has been asked to contact Police Scotland on 101, quoting incident 3468 of Thursday, May 6, 2021 or make a call anonymously to the charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Information can also be submitted anonymously to Police Scotland’s online portal here.

Disabled candidate ‘shown lack of respect’ at election count

Staff at the Emirates Arena in Glasgow did not believe that Pam Duncan-Glancy was a candidate.

STV News

A Scottish Parliamentary candidate who uses a wheelchair has spoken of her ordeal in accessing the Glasgow election count after staff took 45-minutes to help her access the Emirates Arena and sit with fellow candidates.

Pam Duncan-Glancy, who is standing for Labour in Glasgow Kelvin and is fourth on the party’s Glasgow list vote, said she was shown a “lack of respect”, with those on site unable to give the right advice on accessibility to the venue.

And Ms Duncan-Glancy also said that staff didn’t believe that she was a candidate after arriving at the facility.

Speaking to STV News, she said: “When I got here today, the parking for disabled people is at one side of the building, which is great, (it’s a) really accessible building, fantastic venue in this city.


“So, I parked there, as you do with a blue badge, and parked my van up, came in and that was basically not the entrance that everyone else was coming in, so nobody knew where to send me.

“No one knew where to collect my test and trace details, but the most difficult thing was that when I showed my pass people didn’t believe I was a candidate.

“And they said, ‘that’s not the right pass for today’. It is, it was, and it still is, and so that was quite difficult.”

She continued: “Then several people later, we were trying to get information about where should I go. I wanted to sit with other candidates in my party and nobody knew where to send me because the candidates’ area is kind of on the sort of staired seating so nobody knew where to send me.


“The information hadn’t really got to the right people so it took about 45 minutes for us to be seated. During that time, someone told us that we weren’t allowed to be in certain spaces, I think there was about three of four times that happened to us, and a security person said to us that the place that we’d gone to, we’d be breaking Covid rules if we were to go in that space, which was the direction we’d been told.

“So, basically nobody knew the advice to give a person in a wheelchair or someone with access issues when they got here which is a real shame because I know that Glasgow City Council have put in a lot of effort to this and actually I know that… this is not my first rodeo at these things as I’m sure (viewers) will know and I’ve never had a problem like this before in this particular venue.

“Today I think it was just a mixture of not getting the right information to the right people and a bit of lack of respect to be honest.”

Ms Duncan-Glancy said that she had been issued an apology by both the chief executive of Glasgow City Council and the returning officer at the venue following the incident.

She said: “I think it’s really important to have wheelchair users in elections and disabled people in elections, so it wasn’t how I wanted to start the day shall we say.

“And then you end up feeling like you’re just moaning or you’re just arguing all the time. In actual fact, I’ve had minimal sleep for the past six weeks, I did my best to keep my cool, to use all the resilience I have, but the fact is we shouldn’t have to do that.”

The Labour candidate continued: “The chief executive of Glasgow City Council and the returning officer have both apologised and you know, I have a lot of faith in both of them.


“They both in the past have been great for things like this. I think what’s happened on this situation is that they’ve not necessarily been able to communicate the situation with the new rules and on this scale.

“But the communication really is part of the biggest problem because actually all they needed to do is make sure that their staff knew.

“I think, as far as I’m aware, I’m probably the only wheelchair user standing in this election. They could have maybe had a bit of a clue that somebody was going to turn up and need some of this availability basically, accessibility being available.

“So not to do that was a bit of an oversight.”

Police bid to trace woman who helped at scene of death

A 25-year-old woman died after being pulled from the water at Helensburgh Pier last month.

© Google Maps 2020
Helensburgh Pier: A woman died after being pulled from the water.

Police have issued a fresh appeal for information in connection with the death of a woman who was pulled from the water at Helensburgh Pier last month.

The 25-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene after emergency services were alerted to the incident in the Argyle and Bute town at around 5.15pm on Friday, April 23.

A 28-year-old man was arrested and charged in connection with the death and has since appeared in court.

On Friday, Police Scotland said officers are keen to trace a woman who helped at the scene.


The woman was said to have had an English accent and was wearing a lanyard round her neck.

Detective constable Angela Tipping said: “We believe this woman may have important information that could help with our enquiries.

“If anyone knows her or the woman herself see this appeal, please call us on 101.”

You're up to date

You've read today's top stories. Where would you like to go next?