Man screamed at wife to ‘lock door’ when neighbour fatally shot

Gary More, 32, was gunned down just yards from his doorstep in Airdrie, South Lanarkshire, on September 6, 2018.

Man screamed at wife to ‘lock door’ when neighbour fatally shot Facebook

A man recalled slumping to the ground after his neighbour was fatally shot outside his home.

Steven Whitelaw told how he yelled on his wife to “lock the door” as friend Gary More was gunned down in Airdrie, Lanarkshire, on September 6, 2018.

The 35-year-old eventually went to Mr More’s aid, but knew he was so badly hurt, the gym owner would not survive.

Mr Whitelaw also described CCTV footage of a gunman appearing to run towards the 32-year-old’s home that night as “horrific to watch”.

The funeral director was giving evidence at the High Court in Glasgow on Thursday.

Neil Anderson, 45, is on trial accused of acting with others in murdering Mr More.

Mr Whitelaw said Mr More was a friend and neighbour with both having a shared interest in boxing.

Prosecutor Liam Ewing QC quizzed the witness on the day of the shooting.

Mr Ewing asked: “What was the first thing that alerted you to the fact the situation was not normal?”

The witness responded: “When I heard the bangs outside the property.”

The advocate depute asked: “What was it you heard?”

Mr Whitelaw said: “I can only describe it like a firework.

“I looked out and just fell to the ground. It was just the noise. I shouted on my wife to lock the door.”

When Mr Whitelaw then decided to go out, he said another man was heading towards him.

Mr Whitelaw said he had seen this individual eating a bag of chips and chatting to Mr More earlier.

This man then gave Mr Whitelaw a “wee cheap” phone to dial 999.

Asked what then happened, the witness went on: “I remember putting Gary into the recovery position.

“However, due to the extent of his injuries, I knew in myself that Gary was not going to make it.”

Mr Ewing then said: “It must have seemed like a very long time before medical assistance and police arrived?”

Mr Whitelaw responded: “It seemed like a lifetime.”

The prosecutor asked him was he aware the ambulance crew had initially “stayed some distance away” from the scene.

Mr Whitelaw said he was not.

Mr Whitelaw later agreed with Anderson’s QC Donald Findlay what happened was a “scary experience”.

He was shown CCTV footage of the street prior to the shooting.

The court heard this featured a car pulling up, an individual getting out with what appeared to be a gun, heading towards Mr More’s home before going back in the motor.

Asked at one point by Mr Findlay what he saw, Mr Whitelaw replied: “I do not know. I just shut my eyes. This is horrific to watch, to be honest.”

Anderson along with 37-year-old David Anderson is separately accused of behaving in a threatening or abusive manner towards Mr More by attending his home, threatening him and demanding money.

The Andersons further face an allegation of being concerned in the supply of drugs between March and September 2018.

The offences are said to be aggravated by a connection to organised crime.

Both Andersons deny the allegations they each face.

The trial, before judge Lord Mulholland, continues.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code