Man in hospital after being punched in face at taxi rank

The 23-year-old victim is still receiving treatment in hospital after the incident in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Man remains in hospital after serious assault at taxi rank in Glasgow’s George Square Google Maps

A man remains in hospital after being punched during an assault at a taxi rank in Glasgow city centre.

Detectives are appealing for witnesses after the incident in George Square on Sunday around 3.40am.

The 23-year-old victim was waiting for a taxi when another man punched him to the face, causing him to fall to the ground.

The suspect, who is described as around 6 foot tall with blond hair and wearing a green khaki coloured t-shirt and jeans, and was last seen walking south on John Street, towards Cochrane Street.

The victim was taken to Glasgow Royal Infirmary for treatment to a head injury. He remains in hospital and medical staff describe his condition as stable.

Detective constable Mark McCallum, from Stewart Street CID, said: “This was an unprovoked attack which left the victim requiring hospital treatment and it is vital we trace the person responsible.

“There will have been people in George Square making their way home from nights out around the time of the incident, as well as taxis at the rank, and I would urge anyone who witnessed what happened to please get in touch.

“I would also ask anyone motorists with dash-cams who were in the area in the early hours of Sunday morning to check their footage in case they have captured anything which could assist with the investigation.

“Anyone with information can contact Police Scotland via 101, quoting incident number 0779 of Sunday, September 10, 2023. Alternatively you can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code