Man jailed for eight years after brutal sex attack

John McGinn, 29, will also be supervised for a further three years on his release.

Man jailed for eight years after brutal sex attack Google Maps

An axe-wielding man who left a woman “broken” after a brutal sex attack has been jailed for eight years.

John McGinn turned on the victim, who feared she was going to die at his hands.

The 29-year-old put her through a horrific ordeal at a flat in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire, on January 30, 2020.

On Friday, McGinn was sentenced at the High Court in Glasgow.

He pled guilty last month to assaulting and raping the woman to the danger of her life.

Lady Stacey told McGinn: “Your lawyer says you are disgusted at yourself and so you should be.

“It is absolutely disgraceful conduct. You injured the woman physically and psychologically.

“The narrative of facts and the social work report makes grim reading.”

McGinn will also be supervised for a further three years on his release.

The earlier hearing was told the pair had been at a party with others. McGinn ended up drunk after quickly drinking a bottle of Buckfast.

Prosecutor Chris McIntosh said revellers were “uncomfortable” being near “aggressive” McGinn.

The woman and McGinn ended up back at the flat in Kilmarnock.

McGinn soon began hurling names at her and went on to brandish an axe and a hammer at the terrified victim.

McGinn grabbed the woman, dragged her by the hair before sitting on top of her.

The woman meantime desperately yelled for help.

Mr McIntosh said: “She was lying on the floor with him straddling her.

“He was pressing his thumbs into her windpipe. She thought she was going to die. Everything got darker.”

The woman slumped unconscious before McGinn sexually assaulted her. After she awoke, he then raped her.

The court heard he went on to apologise.

Concerned neighbours alerted police, who rescued the sobbing woman.

McGinn lied, saying he had found her stricken and had “given her CPR”.

He insisted any sex-related injuries would have been during previous consensual intercourse due to the “size” of his private parts.

The victim remains scared of McGinn, her weight has plummeted and she struggles to “move on”.

Mr McIntosh said: “It is probably best summed up by her mother who stated her daughter was now broken.”

McGinn’s QC, Tony Graham, told the judge: “There is an inability to recognise himself and a certain revulsion that he could have acted in this way.”

McGinn was also put on the sex offenders’ list indefinitely.