Man in court charged with carrying bladed weapon amid Celtic title party disorder

Ten males, including a 17-year-old, were arrested after disorder broke out in the area following the match

Man in court charged with carrying bladed weapon amid Celtic title party disorderSNS Group

A man has appeared in court charged with carrying a bladed weapon during an unofficial Celtic title party on Glasgow’s Trongate.

Ten males, including a 17-year-old, were arrested after disorder broke out in the area following the match, while four were apprehended at the stadium in the city’s East End.

Police Scotland’s Assistant Chief Constable Mark Sutherland said two officers were injured during disorder in the Trongate, while three members of the public were either injured or suffered medical episodes.

Officers had “missiles, including glass bottles” thrown at them while assisting with a medical emergency, police said.

Celtic fans flocked to the Trongate on Saturday to celebrate following their side’s 3-1 win against Hearts, which clinched the league title.

On Monday, Brian Weir appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court charged with carrying a bladed weapon and behaving in a threatening and abusive manner.

The 42-year-old from Glasgow made no plea.

He was remanded in custody and is due to make his second appearance within eight days.

‘Wholly unacceptable’

Earlier on Saturday, the Glasgow side’s fans spilled onto the pitch after their third goal.

The Scottish Professional Football League said it “utterly condemns” the scenes.

An SPFL spokesperson said: “Firstly, we send our congratulations to Celtic on winning the William Hill Premiership in the most exciting of circumstances and send our commiserations to everyone at Heart of Midlothian following an incredible campaign.

“We would also like to thank the referee and his excellent team of match officials for their cool heads on such a dramatic day. Given the speculation about the conclusion of the game, we would like to make clear that, prior to awarding the trophy, we were informed by the match referee that the match had ended and had not been abandoned.

“Yesterday’s match showed off the very best of the Scottish game and the drama and excitement that it is rightly famed for. The eyes of the world were on Glasgow and the climax of the William Hill Premiership, with millions of viewers watching the match on Sky Sports and across the globe.

“However, we utterly condemn the scenes which saw a number of Celtic supporters encroach onto the field of play. We await the report of our match delegate regarding any specific incidents that took place but, regardless, supporters entering the field of play in any circumstances is wholly unacceptable and puts those participating and working at a match at risk.

“We note that entering the pitch in England and Wales has been a criminal offence since 1991. We urge anyone with information about any alleged criminal activity to contact Police Scotland.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code

Today's Top Stories

Popular Videos

Latest in Glasgow & West

Trending Now