Man chewed boxer's ear off after he attacked his partner

Martin Hendrie attacked boxer Michael McCrone after he was thrown out of a nightclub in Glasgow.

Man chewed boxer’s ear off after he attacked his partner SNS Group

A man who chewed off the ear of an amateur boxer in a brawl outside a nightclub has been ordered to do unpaid work.

Martin Hendrie, 45, attacked Michael McCrone in Glasgow city centre on July 9, 2022.

Undefeated fighter McCrone had earlier pushed Hendrie and assaulted his partner.

Super flyweight McCrone then went on to put a thumb into Hendrie’s eye before he pulled his head down.

HGV driver Hendrie then went on to bite the top of McCrone’s ear which has never been re-attached.

Hendrie pled guilty under provocation at Glasgow Sheriff Court to assaulting McCrone to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement.

Sheriff Brian Cameron imposed 180 hours of unpaid work upon the dad-of-four.

The sheriff said: “You pled guilty to very serious offences.

“I take on board that there was a degree of provocation and my sentence will reflect that.

“You are a first offender and have never served a prison sentence.

“Taking everything into account I am satisfied I can impose an alternative to custody.”

The court heard Hendrie and his partner were out with friend who had visited from Inverness.

McCrone was thrown out The Savoy nightclub due to “inappropriate comments” made to the women.

A short time later, Hendrie and the women went outside while McCrone and his brother were in the vicinity.

McCrone’s brother bumped into Hendrie’s friend and shouted abuse towards the women.

Hendrie then intervened before the brothers turned their attention towards him.

Prosecutor Emma Baker said: “McCrone pushed Hendrie to the chest and his partner had to get in the middle of them.

“At this point, she herself was assaulted by McCrone and his brother.

“They also went on to assault them by punching Hendrie and his partner.”

Hendrie and McCrone then ended up grappling with each other.

Police attended and Hendrie was arrested while McCrone was taken to hospital for treatment.

Ms Baker said: “The top of his ear could not be re-attached.”

It was revealed that McCrone had also been prosecuted for this incident and received 180 hours of unpaid work.

He was also tagged for five months keeping him indoors between 8pm and 6am as well as put under supervision for two years.

Eddie Robertson, defending, told the sentencing that Hendrie accepts responsibility for the offence.

The lawyer added: “He is unlikely to commit anything of a serious nature again.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in