Man admits killing friend before dumping body outside hospital

Medics said Stephen Quigley would have survived the attack by Ben McCulloch had he received medical treatment sooner.

Man admits stabbing Stephen Quigley to death before dumping body outside closed hospital building Google Maps

A man stabbed his friend to death and dropped him six minutes from help to avoid being detected.

Ben McCulloch, 27, turned on Stephen Quigley, 26, at his home in Barrhead, East Renfrewshire, on March 23, 2021.

McCulloch struck the victim, of Neilston, East Renfrewshire, on the side of the head with a knife.

The attacker – a disqualified driver – drove his friend to a closed section of a hospital six minutes from the accident and emergency department.

The disorientated victim tried to walk to A&E for help but was found dead outside a daytime ward the next morning.

McCulloch later claimed to have dropped him a distance from A&E as he did not want to give details of how Mr Quigley came about his injuries.

The High Court in Glasgow heard the deceased would have survived if he received immediate medical treatment.

McCulloch, who was initially charged for murder, pled guilty to a lesser charge of culpable homicide.

The court heard the two friends were drinking in McCulloch’s flat on the day of the incident.

The pair were in good spirits uploading video clips to social media.

Prosecutor Angela Gray said: “Later that afternoon, McCulloch and Mr Quigley became involved in an altercation.

“During this, McCulloch took control of the knife and struck Mr Quigley inflicting a blow to his head, causing the long-incised wound on the right side of his head.”

The weapon has never been recovered.

McCulloch dropped the bleeding victim near a closed mental health ward at the Royal Alexandra Hospital a 5.25pm.

Miss Gray added: “The A&E is around a six-minute walk from where Mr Quigley was dropped off by McCulloch.”

Mr Quigley who was “unsteady on his feet” with a head injury was spotted on CCTV walking for help.

He was found dead by nursing staff the next morning at 7am outside the ward.

It was established that the injury was caused by a weapon with a sharp edge and moderate force was used.

Miss Gray added: “This would have resulted in major blood loss and this traumatic injury, along with significant drug and alcohol intoxication, is considered to have been the cause of death.

“The injury to his head would have been survivable if prompt medical attention had been secured.”

McCulloch was later traced to an AirBnB property in Newcastle on April 8, 2021 and he was arrested.

Ian Duguid QC, defending, told the court: “He knows the fact that his friend died in such circumstances is a matter of considerable difficulty for his family and he wishes to express his apologies.

“He chose to drop him off at the hospital near the Scottish Ambulance headquarters.

“His position was he didn’t want to go to A&E and be involved in his admission and giving details about his injury to the hospital.”

Judge Lord Mulholland asked why McCulloch did not drop Mr Quigley off without giving details.

Mr Duguid replied: “Exactly, it was whatever decision that was taken rightly or wrongly, he did not know his friend had died or not received treatment until he was picked up.”

Sentence was deferred pending background reports until next month.

The judge told McCulloch: “Be under no illusions, you were responsible for this man’s death and you accept that you inflicted a significant injury to this man with a knife.

“You can expect a lengthy period in prison.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code