Major rescue resumes after tugboat sank with two crew missing

Two crew members are thought to be missing after the tugboat sank at Custom House Quay in Greenock.

Major rescue resumes in Greenock after tugboat sank with two crew missing STV News

A major rescue operation has resumed off Greenock after a tugboat sank in the Firth of Clyde.

Two crew members are understood to have been aboard the vessel when it capsized at Custom House Quay just after 3.30pm on Friday afternoon.

Coastguard, Police Scotland and RNLI teams all joined the search, which was stood down at around 8pm.

It was scheduled to restart at 8am on Saturday morning.

A coastguard spokesman said: “HM Coastguard has been responding to reports of a capsized vessel off Custom House Quay in Greenock today, February 24.

Police divers were redeployed on Saturday morning.

“It is believed the vessel had two crew members onboard.

“Just before 3.30pm coastguard rescue teams from Helensburgh and Greenock, a lifeboat from Helensburgh RNLI and the coastguard helicopter from Prestwick were sent to assist and searched the area.

“Multiple vessels on the Clyde in the vicinity of the incident also responded, including an MoD Police vessel.

“The coastguard’s involvement in the surface search was terminated at 8pm.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Police were made aware of a tugboat having capsized off Custom House Quay in Greenock around 3.30pm on February 24.

“Emergency services attended, including HM Coastguard and RNLI.

“Officers, including Police Scotland’s Dive and Marine Unit and Air Support Unit, have been carrying out searches in the area and these searches will resume on the morning of February 25.

“Inquiries are ongoing, assisted by partners, to establish the full circumstances.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code