Boris Johnson has said that conversations are taking place over the future of the McVitie’s factory in Glasgow’s East End.
Last week, the owner of the site, Pladis, announced that the site would be closing, subject to a consultation, which is due to begin on Thursday.
The closure would put nearly 500 jobs at risk, with the factory ceasing operation in the latter half of 2022.
Raising the issue during PMQs on Wednesday, SNP MP David Linden warned the move would “unleash economic Armageddon”.
He said: “The Prime Minister will be aware of Pladis’ proposal to close the McVitie’s factory in Glasgow’s East End, putting at risk up to 470 local jobs.
“So, will the Prime Minister join with me in engaging with Pladis Global’s CEO, Salman Amin, and call upon him to re-think these plans which would definitely unleash economic Armageddon on a very, very fragile part of our local economy?”
Johnson responded: “Yes, I think McVitie’s have been a proud part of the Scottish economy since 1800 and I know that people at the Tollcross factory there, their relatives will be very concerned about what’s happening, I thank him (Linden) for raising it.
“I know that conversations are now going on to see what we can do with, I think it’s the Turkish company that now owns McVitie’s, and I know (secretary of state for Scotland Alister Jack) is meeting the honourable member to discuss the situation.”