Machete-wielding man who attacked cyclist in butcher shop jailed

James Muirhead was sentenced to more than five years in prison for the attack on September 4 last year.

James Muirhead who attacked cyclist with machete in Glasgow butcher shop jailed STV News

A man wielding a machete who attacked a cyclist in a butcher shop having recently been freed from prison has been sentenced to more than five years in jail.

James Muirhead turned on the man after chasing after him in Glasgow’s Duke Street on the morning of September 4 last year.

A judge heard claims the 26-year-old was angry at the victim who Muirhead blamed for a series of alleged “incidents” involving relatives.

The man suffered a number of injuries including a fractured skull having been attacked as he lay on the floor of the shop.

Muirhead was sentenced on Thursday at the High Court in Glasgow.

He had pleaded guilty last month to assaulting the man to his severe injury, permanent disfigurement and danger of life.

It emerged he had only been back on the streets around six weeks after being freed from an earlier jail-term.

One of his many previous convictions included a five year sentence in 2016 for being part of a violent raid on a man’s house which saw his car and cash stolen in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire.

Muirhead was jailed for five years and four months for this latest crime.

He was also be supervised for a further three years on his release.

Lady Drummond remarked Muirhead appeared to “harbour ill-feeling” towards the victim.

She added: “Had such selfless and brave members of the public not intervened (in the assault) then the outcome may have been very different.”

The court earlier heard Muirhead was in a car in Duke Street when his victim went past on his bicycle.

The thug leapt out the vehicle and immediately raced after the man.

Prosecutor Lindsey Dalziel said: “Muirhead attacked him with [the victim] falling to the floor of a butchers shop.

“He continued to strike him with the machete.

“Members of the public pulled Muirhead away from [the victim].”

Muirhead fled the scene before the man was rushed to hospital.

He claimed not to know who attacked him, but went on to state it was “three men”.

As well as the fractured skull, he suffered wounds to his hand and arm.

CCTV of the attack helped snare Muirhead and he was held by police.

Euan Dow, defending, said Muirhead had previously considered “harming” the man, but had “thought better of it”.

The defence advocate added: “On the day in question, his judgement was impaired and he unexpectedly came across [the victim].

“He then behaved in the violent way we have seen.”

Lady Drummond said the jail-term would have been eight years, but for the guilty plea.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in