Power restored to hundreds of homes after four days without electricity

Around 300 homes in the Kinnaird village in Larbert are still without power after the local substation was damaged on Sunday evening.

Power restored to hundreds of Larbert homes after four days without electricity Falkirk Council

Power has been restored to hundreds of homes which were left without electricity for four days after a tree fell on a substation during Storm Isha.

Around 300 homes in the Larbert area of Falkirk were left without power after the local substation was damaged on Sunday evening.

Supplier GTC have managed to restore supplies through a temporary generator as of Wednesday afternoon.

They said “further works will continue to be undertaken to deliver the permanent repair, as soon as is practicable”.

A tree fell on the substation in Larbert.

To safely remove the tree and assess the damage, supplies to the local area had to be isolated affecting a further 1,500 homes for several hours earlier in the week.

Welfare units have been set up in the area by Loc Hire offering warmth and hot food and drink while Falkirk Libraries has also opened doors to allow people to charge their phones and use computers.

A rest centre had been set up by Falkirk Council to support residents but has since closed as it was “no longer needed”.

Local resident Vicki Mckenzie told STV News: “Our power went out at 10.30pm on Sunday, since then we have had no power at all, and no support or help whatsoever ever until Loc Hire brought out the welfare trucks on Wednesday morning.

“We are doing tea, coffee, soups and charging phones and chatting to people making sure they are okay, we had one man in his 80s asking for water as he didn’t have anything at all.

“Everyday we’ve been told it will be back on then at approximately 7pm we get told it won’t be and to get a hotel – at which point they are all sold out. Our kids are scared and cold and very upset.

“Most people didn’t take up the offer of hotel accommodation until Tuesday. It’s all getting too much now, people are very emotional.”

An update shared by GTC on Wednesday afternoon explained: “GTC is pleased to announce that we have now restored the electricity supply to all the remaining customers in the Larbert Area by temporary generation. 

“Further works will continue to be undertaken to deliver the permanent repair, as soon as is practicable.

“We will notify, by letter, all customers of their eligibility to claim payment from us, now that supply is restored to all customers.  

“The letter will contain clear guidance on how payment can be claimed.

“We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

A spokesperson for Falkirk Council said: “We previously had set up a rest centre to support the ongoing disruption caused by a power outage in the Kinnaird area of Larbert.

“This was no longer needed and individuals affected are receiving direct support from energy provider, GTC who are paying for accommodation and food where required.

“GTC are also keeping customers advised directly.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in