Homes evacuated over suspected carbon monoxide leak

Emergency services evacuated a pub in Cambuslang on Sunday evening after patrons became unwell.

Homes evacuated over suspected carbon monoxide leak

More than a dozen homes and businesses in South Lanarkshire were evacuated following a suspected carbon monoxide leak.

The emergency services evacuated a pub in Cambuslang on Sunday evening after patrons became unwell amid reports of a “chemical smell”.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) sent a specialist unit to contain chemical spills as well as three fire engines to the scene in the town’s Main Street when the alarm was raised at around 6pm.

The Clock Bar was evacuated along with 13 other properties, including several homes.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: “About 6pm on Sunday, February 2, emergency services attended The Clock, Main St, Cambuslang, in response to a number of persons taking unwell within.

“A number of persons were checked at the scene and found to be suffering no lasting effects.

“No persons required hospital treatment.

“Emergency services remain at the scene and enquiries are ongoing.”

Gas engineers from Scotland’s emergency gas response network SGN attended and isolated the gas supply to the pub, before performing a safety check on the property and surrounding area.

A spokesman for the pub confirmed the carbon monoxide leak but said it was believed to have originated outside the building.

An SGN spokesman said: “We attended The Clock pub in Cambuslang this evening as the gas emergency service provider in Scotland.

“We made the situation safe by isolating the gas supply to the property.

“A number of nearby properties were evacuated as a precaution but have now been re-occupied after we carried out a safety check.”

It is understood during final checks engineers did not find any trace of carbon monoxide.

A spokesman for The Clock Bar said: “The Clock had a carbon monoxide leak but it is suspected to have originated elsewhere.

“It has now been declared safe and has re-opened.

“We don’t know where it came from but we have taken extra steps to make sure our customers are safe.”

An SFRS spokeswoman said: “We were alerted at 6.06pm on Sunday, February 2, to reports of a chemical smell within a commercial building in Cambuslang.

“Operations control have mobilised three fire appliances and an environmental protection unit to the public house in the town’s main street.”