A Glasgow landlord who was ordered to redecorate rooms and failed to keep fire safety alarm records has been refused a letting licence.
Glasgow City Council inspectors found a cracked bath and a broken cooker ignition switch at 51 Grant Street last year.
The Licensing and Regulatory Committee heard this week four students moved into the property two weeks ago.
Fire officer Kevin Murphy said an inspection revealed there was no “maintenance records” for the fire alarm system or emergency lighting since 2016.
He pointed out a self-closing door wouldn’t shut.
He said: “As far as we are concerned the premises remain unsatisfactory. To this day we have failed to receive any communication from the representative.”
Dean Ahmed spoke on behalf of licence holder Khurshid Begum during the meeting.
Councillors refused to grant a house in multiple occupation licence despite Mr Ahmed insisting problems had been sorted.
Mr Ahmed claimed all necessary certification had been sent to the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and the issues have been fixed.
Describing the situation as “worrying,” committee chair, councillor Alex Wilson, said: “Fire in this city has killed many people.”
Councillor David Turner added: “You have had students in there without fire checks. This is just not acceptable.”
Commenting on the bath crack, Mr Ahmed said: “The bath was not used – just the shower. It was hairline crack. That was replaced.”
Mr Ahmed told councillors a new cooker had also been fitted and there were plans to redecorate the accommodation.
There was no discussion at the meeting over whether the students who were living in the property would now have to move.
By local democracy reporter Sarah Hilley