Glasgow child abuse ring victims 'failed' despite years of warnings

There were more than 20 missed opportunities where agencies could have intervened to stop the abuse, review finds

The victims of one of Scotland’s most shocking abuse cases were failed by Glasgow’s child protection system despite years of warnings, a review has found.

Last year, seven men and women were handed life sentences for being part of a child abuse ring in the city’s Townhead.

Three children were abused, assaulted and raped in a drugs den known as the “Beastie House” between 2012 and 2019.

Iain Owens, 45; Elaine Lannery, 39; Lesley Williams, 41; Paul Brannan, 41; Scott Forbes, 50; Barry Watson, 47; and John Clark, 47 were all handed lifelong restriction orders and jailed for a total of 93 years.

STV News

They were convicted of crimes of “extraordinary depravity” at the “Beastie House” where heroin and crack cocaine were used.

Sentencing was delayed until 14 months after the conviction to allow for risk assessments, ordered by Judge Lord Beckett due to the severity of the crimes.

Glasgow City Child Protection Committee commissioned an independent case learning review following the sentencing to determine how authorities and social work departments missed the prolonged abuse of the children.

Colin Anderson, independent chair of Glasgow City Child Protection Committee, said the findings were “one of the hardest reports” he has read in more than 50 years working in social work and child protection.

Systems in place to protect children failed

The report, published on Wednesday morning, identified more than 20 missed opportunities where agencies could have intervened, with 25 separate risk factors highlighted before the children were eventually removed from the home.

One child was described in the review as trying to stop a school nurse leaving their residence and on another occasion banging on a window begging a health visitor not to leave.

The review found these incidents were rationalised as “challenging” behaviour rather than recognised as indicators of distress.

Throughout a course of years, the children were described as being dirty, hungry and as suffering from untreated medical issues, including reports from within the community, their school and social workers.

The learning review noted a “pungent smell” coming from some of the children at times, including a smell of urine from one noted from a local community group.

Despite these repeated warnings, the children were not taken away from the perpetrators until 2019.

In the learning review, the children were noted as saying the “people in the community knew” about some of the neglect they faced.

Several of the children involved in the abuse ring had severe dental problems, including “black and rotten teeth”.

Authorities also failed to consider the physical and social impact on the children of losing so many teeth, it said.

The report noted concerns over the children’s behaviour, including reports of young children banging their heads against walls, poor hygiene and severe headlice infestation.

Mr Anderson accepted the findings in full, saying: “The systems that were supposed to protect these children did fail.

“For the children in this case, we did not get it right. Multi-agencies failed them.”

Colin Anderson, independent chair of Glasgow City Child Protection Committee.STV News
Colin Anderson, independent chair of Glasgow City Child Protection Committee.

The report found concerns about neglect were not formally added to the children’s records until just two weeks before they were taken from the house, despite what investigators described as years of evidence.

Mr Anderson said there had been “too much focus” on adults engaging with services rather than identifying risks to children.

“Children’s rights must take priority over the rights of adults to make decisions on their behalf,” he said. “We must listen, actively listen to children.

“We must look for evidence from children and we must use that evidence to form professional judgments through robust interagency multi-agency assessments.”

“We need to really make sure that they are saying what they’re seeing. I was involved in another review where it was decided that the child’s conditions were described as suboptimal.

“That kind of language has got no place. If we have evidence as I said earlier, if we produce evidence that a child is being neglected that statute of willful neglect still stands and we must be aware of it.”

Mr Anderson described the adults responsible for the abuse as “devious, deviant and manipulative”, saying they had gone to “great lengths” to conceal what was happening and prevent agencies from gaining proper access to the children.

Calling it an “extreme case”, Mr Anderson said he had been “angered and shocked” by the findings but insisted lessons would be learned.

He added: “I am all the more determined to make sure that we crack on and make sure that we look at this shift in culture and that we deliver the actions necessary to achieve these improvement strategies in the report.”

What did the case involve?

Four of the group, Owens, Lannery, Brannan and Williams, were found guilty of attempting to murder a child by pushing her into a microwave and trapping her in other places.

All seven were found guilty of taking part in the gang rape of a child.

An eighth person, Marianne Gallagher, 38, was found guilty of assaulting a child and given a deferred sentence. Earlier this month, she was spared further punishment although a judge branded her actions “reprehensible”.

Owens and Lannery were also convicted of multiple counts of assault, sexual assault and causing a child to ingest drugs and alcohol.

The hearing heard that all seven had been risk-assessed by social workers.

All seven had strict Order for Lifelong Restriction orders imposed on them during sentencing, as well as a jail term known as a “punishment part” that they must serve before parole.

In sentencing the perpetrators earlier this year, a judge described the abuse as among the worst they had encountered.

STV News

“This court is used to hearing some ofthe worst examples of human behaviour,” the judge said, “but such depravity as you displayed against young children is beyond my experience.”

The court heard evidence of “dreadfully depraved sexual abuse”, serious neglect, drug dealing around children and violent assaults described as “life-endangering” and, in some cases, “murderous”.

The judge also praised the “exceptional courage and perseverance” of the children involved, saying their actions had “allowed justice to be done”.

Reviews ongoing

Glasgow City Child Protection Committee has audited more than 150 child protection cases and says further reviews and enhanced supervision are ongoing.

Mr Anderson also confirmed discussions are underway with the Scottish Government and Child Protection Committee Scotland over wider national reforms, saying the issues identified were “not only local to Glasgow”.

In a statement, Glasgow’s Child Protection Committee said the city’s multi-agency child protection services were currently rated “Good” by the Care Inspectorate.

Officials said a “rigorous and ongoing audit” of cases had been carried out since the abuse came to light.

The committee acknowledged that agencies had “missed opportunities to intervene and protect the children” but stressed the case involved “extreme and unusual” levels of manipulation and deception by the adults responsible.

It added: “Our thoughts remain firmly with the children impacted and all available support will remain in place for the foreseeable future wherever necessary.”

What has been the reaction?

Mary Glasgow, Chief Executive of Children First said: “It is heart breaking that the true horror of what was happening to these children was missed over many years. They were failed by a system that should have protected them.

“Whilst these circumstances are historic and extreme, we need to face up to reality. Much of what is highlighted today has been flagged in similar reviews, over decades.

“As this review emphasises, too often professionals and services focus on the adults and overlook the needs and rights of the children. Professionals must be curious, vigilant and inquisitive when worried about a child’s behaviour, whatever it looks like. Behaviour should never be interpreted as ‘bad’ but seen for what it is – an indicator that something is wrong.

“Child protection work is complex and the consequences of getting it wrong are devastating. It takes significant time, expertise and resources to get it right.  We have to ask ourselves if we have a child protection system that is fit for purpose and if we are prepared to invest properly in what it takes to keep children safe?”

Meanwhile, an NSPCC Scotland spokesperson said: “It is utterly heartbreaking that these children were subjected to such appalling abuse over such a prolonged period. While those convicted of these crimes are responsible for their actions, it is devastating the children were not protected by others involved in their lives.

“This review highlights the critical importance of professional curiosity and scrutiny. It underlines the need for professionals to ask probing questions, not to take things at face value, share and connect information effectively, and carry out robust assessments to fully understand the impact of adult behaviour on children.

“Above all, the focus must remain on the child – speaking and listening to them, recognising signs of distress, and understanding what their behaviour and physical presentation may be telling us.

“There is significant learning for all agencies and organisations from this case, and at the NSPCC we are committed to taking the time to fully consider the report and its recommendations. Our thoughts remain with the children. It is vital they continue to receive all the support they need to help them to begin to heal.  

“We would urge anyone with concerns about a child to speak out and seek support, either from local agencies or the NSPCC Helpline on 0808 800 5000. If a child is in immediate danger, people should always call 999.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in
Last updated May 20th, 2026 at 18:29

Today's Top Stories

Popular Videos

Latest in Glasgow & West

Trending Now