FirstBus has cancelled several journeys in Glasgow and surrounding areas amid a national driver shortage.
A total of 12 routes through the city will be affected by the cancellations that begin on Monday and the operator has asked customers to be understanding and not to “take any issues out” on drivers or other staff.
At least five of the cancelled routes pass through the city centre, with others affecting journeys from Hamilton, Motherwell and East Kilbride.
Commuters planning to use the service are advised to find alternative travel plans.
The following journeys, that will be operating on a reduced timetable, are expected to be disrupted on October 4 with much fewer busses on the road.
- Service 18 – Greenhills via Glasgow City Centre
- Service 21 – Glasgow City Centre – East Kilbride, Gardenhall
- Service 201 – Hairmyres to Petersburn
- Service 226 – Hillhouse – Hamilton Town Centre – Fairhill
- Service 240 – Overtown – Glasgow via Wishaw, Motherwell and Bellshill
- Service 241 – Cleland – North Motherwell, Watling Street
- Service 254 – Newarthill – Motherwell
- Service 255 – Hamilton to Buchanan Bus Station
- Service 263 – Hamilton Bus Station – Buchanan Bus Station
- Service 266 – Shotts / Newmains to Hamilton
- Service 267 – Glasgow to Hamilton
- Service X11 – Newmains, West Crindledyke – Buchanan Bus Station
A statement released through the FirstBus website confirmed the news, saying: “Due to the current national driver shortage which is affecting all sectors, the following journeys are not expected to operate.
“We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Please do not take any issues out on our team who are at work and operating our other journeys – it’s not their fault.
“They, like everyone else, are trying their best to operate as good a service as possible.”
Commuters have also been advised that services may be reinstated at short notice.
Updated information will be available from FirstBus website.
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country