Former soldier strangled daughter's partner to death

Daniel Langman has been convicted of killing Anthony Collins at his flat in Port Glasgow in 2021.

Former soldier Daniel Langman strangled daughter’s partner to death in Port Glasgow Police Scotland

A man who hit his daughter’s partner with a guitar before strangling him to death has been convicted of murder.

Daniel Langman strangled Anthony Collins, 28, during an attack at his flat in Port Glasgow, Inverclyde, on May 16, 2021.

The 48-year-old told jurors how he “lost control” after finding his home in disarray that night.

Following the death of Mr Collins, the Northern Ireland veteran had denied murder during a trial at the High Court in Glasgow.

However, jurors found him guilty on Monday afternoon while co-accused Anthony McGovern, 36, was found not proven of the same charge.

The court heard how Langman did not like Mr Collins – known as Tony – and believed he was bad for his daughter.

He admitted he had barred the victim from his flat, but insisted he “definitely” meant no harm towards him.

Langman said he came home on the night of the killing and found his flat “obliterated”.

He spotted Mr Collins there, claimed he was hit before hurling abuse at his daughter’s partner.

Langman then went on to smack Mr Collins up to four times with his guitar.

He went on to punch him before claiming his mind went “hazy” about what then occurred.

Langman told jurors: “I remember Anthony McGovern screaming at me. I realised that I was on top of him (the victim) strangling him.”

He admitted to his KC Donald Findlay that he “lost control”.

Prosecutors stated Mr Collins was choked by a cable being tightened around his neck.

He was also said to have been struck with the guitar, an iron, metal poles, a plastic tube and a screwdriver.

Langman said he wrapped the stricken victim in a duvet, but denied that was to cover the horror of what he had done.

He told jurors he had not meant to kill the man.

But the trial heard how Langman called his mother Jennifer Goodwin after the killing, who described him as upset and crying.

The 67-year-old said: “He told me that he had done something stupid.

“He said he went home and a man was in his flat. They got into a fight and he thought things went too far.

“He told me that he was going to hand himself into the police station.”

Lord Fairley remanded Langman in custody and deferred sentencing for reports.

Detective Inspector Nikki Wake, of Greenock CID, said: “This was a brutal attack that has left Anthony’s family absolutely devastated and our thoughts remain with them at this extremely difficult time.

“While nothing can change what has happened, I hope that this conviction brings at least a degree of closure for his relatives and friends.

“Langman will now have to face the consequences of his actions.

“I would like to thank Anthony’s family, friends and those in the wider community who helped officers during this enquiry.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code