Former SNP councillor ‘falsely claimed he was sexually assaulted’

Michael Cullen, 40, allegedly provided a false statement and documentation to police in 2018.

Former SNP councillor ‘falsely claimed he was sexually assaulted’ iStock
Court: Michael Cullen to stand trial over allegations he falsely claimed he was sexually assaulted.

A former SNP councillor will stand trial in April charged with falsely claiming to police he had been sexually assaulted.

Michael Cullen, 40, also allegedly provided a false statement and documentation to officers between May and April 2018.

Cullen, who now independently represents Glasgow’s Garscadden and Scotstounhill ward, is said to have made the false claim in March 2017.

Prosecutors allege he “falsely represented” to three police officers that he had been sexually assaulted in October 2014.

The charge states Cullen claimed he had been the “victim of sexual assault” and caused officers to devote time and services at the public expense to an investigation.

It further claims Cullen knew the claim was false.

Cullen faces a second charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice.

He is said to have claimed that he was impacted mentally and financially by the alleged sexual assault in a review application.

The charges goes on to state this was an attempt to have the Crown reconsider the allegation after a decision was made not to prosecute.

Cullen, of the city’s Knightswood, first pleaded not guilty in 2020 at Glasgow Sheriff Court.

A trial was set for 2021 but it was postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak.

A pre-trial hearing on Monday confirmed that a new trial date has been fixed for April.