Bus driver started new driving job after killing woman in city centre

George McInally, 64, hit Roseanne McLaughlan, 71, at Glasgow's Buchanan bus station on October 7, 2021.

First Bus driver started new driving job after killing woman at Buchanan Bus Station in Glasgow Getty Images

A bus driver sacked after he ran over and killed a pensioner took up work in a similar role for another company.

George McInally, 64, hit pedestrian Roseanne McLaughlan, 71, at Glasgow’s Buchanan Bus Station on October 7, 2021.

McInally, of Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, turned into the bus station as dementia sufferer Roseanne walked across the road.

She was hit then dragged under the bus and was only freed after the fire brigade were able to lift the vehicle off of her.

Ms McLaughlan suffered and later succumbed in hospital to a serious head injury.

McInally was fired from his position at First Bus but he has since been employed as a driver for a different company.

He pled guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court to causing Ms McLaughlan’s death by careless driving.

The court heard that the mum-of-three lived independently despite suffering from dementia.

McInally had dropped off his last passenger and was to enter the station to start a short break.

Ms McLaughlan’s destination was unknown but the court was told that she was wearing a red jacket with her hood up.

Prosecutor John Adams said: “As Roseanne crossed the road at the pedestrian crossing between the white line and the word slow on the road surface, the bus turned left to enter the station.

“On reaching the front of the road, the front near side of the vehicle struck Roseanne causing her to fall backwards to the ground.

“The front nearside wheel drove over her and the bus stopped with her dragged underneath.”

The fire brigade attended and were able to raise the bus in order to free her.

Ms McLaughlan was taken to hospital where she was found to have suffered brain, pelvic and abdominal injuries as well as internal bleeding.

She died in hospital the following night.

A post mortem carried out found her cause of death was “head and leg injuries due to road traffic collision”.

An investigation was carried out by police which stated McInally would have seen Ms McLaughlan for four seconds prior to entering the scene.

The prosecutor told the hearing that McInally’s contract was “terminated” by First Bus.

“He continues to work as a driver for a different company,” he said.

Richard Freeman, defending, told the court: “My client recognises and fully understands the tragic situation of the crash and accepts fully responsibility for his actions – he is greatly remorseful.

“He was travelling on the approach, looking ahead of him, having checked both rear view mirrors and for pedestrians and other vehicles.

“You also heard that it was raining and he had windscreen wipers on.

“His culpability is restricted to these four seconds in challenging circumstances and does not wish to apportion blame beyond that.”

Sentence was deferred pending background reports until next month by Sheriff Andrew Cubie.

McInally was granted bail and disqualified from driving in the meantime.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in