Family of boy killed by telegraph pole left heartbroken

SPIE Limited has been fined £160,000 following the death of 12-year-old Keiran Esquierdo

Family of boy killed by telegraph pole left heartbroken

The family of a schoolboy killed by a falling telegraph pole said their lives will “never be the same”.

Keiran Esquierdo, 12, was playing with friends when he was struck by the log after it rolled down an embankment and pinned him against a fence.

The 12-year-old, from Sanquhar in Dumfries and Galloway, died from asphyxiation after being unable to breathe under the 275kg pole.

In a statement released through Digby Brown Solicitors, his family said: “Every day we feel Keiran’s absence and our lives will never be the same.

“He was a beautiful, fun and popular boy and we will continue to remember him, his laugh and the good times.”

Keiran’s family now hope other tragedies can be avoided after the company involved in the death was fined £160,000.

On Monday at Dumfries Sheriff Court, SPIE Limited – the firm that delivered the poles – admitted breaching health and safety laws.

Keiran’s family said: “For the last two years we’ve waited for answers and justice as we couldn’t heal and start to think of the future without a conclusion to the past.

“Now that it’s resolved we hope companies learn from our loss so other families – and also their employees – are spared the pain of having to cope with a death like this.

“We’d finally like to thank our friends, family and our community who have been there for us through thick and thin for the last two years – your support means more than we could describe.”

The tragedy happened on October 15, 2017 near the Mill Hill Medical Centre in Kelloholm, Dumfries and Galloway.

Keiran was standing on one of two ten-metre telegraph poles when it became dislodged and rolled down a grass embankment.

The youngster also fell down the embankment and was fatally pinned between the pole and a concrete fence post at the bottom of the slope.

Keiran’s friends ran to get help, but when medics arrived the youngster was unresponsive and had no pulse.

Fire crews attended and used specialist lifting gear to move the telegraph pole, but Keiran could not be saved.

Trees were planted in the grounds of Kelloholm Primary and Sanquhar Academy where Keiran attended school. A poignant shield was also created in his memory.

Keiran was also a member of his local army cadets and he was further honoured when his comrades hosted a guard of honour at his funeral.

Damian White, partner at Digby Brown’s Ayr office, said: “What makes Keiran’s passing all the more tragic is just how avoidable it was and I commend his family for the strength, unity and composure they’ve shown through the criminal process.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code