Family 'heartbroken' after pet dog struck by van while fleeing fireworks

Beau's owner hadn't taken the Maltese far from home when a firework was set off and spooked the pup.

Family left heartbroken after beloved pet dog dies after being struck by van while fleeing fireworks Katie Elwood

A family have been left heartbroken after their beloved dog died after being spooked by fireworks in North Lanarkshire.

Katie Elwood’s husband, Stuart, had taken their dog Beau out for a walk when tragedy struck on Friday, November 3.

Stuart hadn’t taken the five-year-old Maltese far from their home in Cumbernauld when a firework was set off and spooked the pup.

Katie explained that Beau returned to Stuart but bolted again after a second firework exploded.

Beau was hit by a van after running away in fear from a firework explosion. Katie Elwood

The pet owner said: “The area is popular among dog walkers and [Beau] wasn’t one for leaving your side so we didn’t have her on the leash, and we’ve had people saying she should’ve been on a leash.

“I understand that and hindsight is a lovely thing. It had been a really peaceful day we hadn’t heard any set off.”

After Beau ran away, the couple began searching for her with one member of the public reaching out to say their nephew had seen her but couldn’t get the dog to stop.

The couple later found out that she had been hit by a van.

Katie said Beau was a 'loving and loyal' dog.Katie Elwood

Katie revealed she was “just really” glad no one got hurt, adding “there was a young chap in a car that stopped for her and he was really upset.”

She explained that the family was still in “shock” adding that the entire family is devastated by the loss.

She added that the dog community has been helpful, saying: “It’s touched so many people, so many people have gotten in touch and been so kind.

“We’d gotten to know a lot of people through having Beau and even people we don’t know have reached out, it’s been lovely.”

Katie added that Beau won’t be the last pet to be spooked by fireworks, but hopes some good can come from the tragic incident.

The pet owner believes that more restrictions are needed ahead of Bonfire Night, adding that she herself felt anxious from all the noise.

“Someone needs to say make them noiseless or make it so they can be seen on organised events and keep it to November 5,” she said.

Katie added that she has received many messages from people who also have dogs that are scared of fireworks.

“Animals don’t have a voice and we need to be that for them.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code