Ex-soldier caught in £2m drugs bust after woman dumped cocaine in police station

Paul Clark was caught after a woman visited a police station while under the influence, leading police to his flat

Ex-soldier caught in £2m drugs bust after woman dumped cocaine in police stationGoogle Maps

A former soldier caught in a £2m drugs bust after a woman dumped bags of narcotics in a police station has been jailed for five years. 

Paul Clark, 44, was caught following a raid at a flat in the Glasgow Harbour complex on the River Clyde on February 2 last year.

Prosecutor Lindsey Dalziel stated how a force support officer had earlier been on duty at Partick Police Office in the city’s west end when the woman came in seemingly under the influence.

Ms Dalziel told the High Court in Glasgow: “She dropped a number of bags on the floor and indicated that they contained controlled substances.

“The female gave her name. Due to her demeanour and comments, her property and motor vehicle were subject to a search.”

The bags were found to contain 11 packages of cocaine. A total of more than £1,000 was also seized.

Police further discovered keys to the flat in Meadowside Quay Walk.

Officers went to the property, and it was unlocked with no one inside.

A wallet was initially discovered, and a driving licence in Clark’s name.

Ms Dalziel said a large black bag was spotted in the open-plan living area.

This held ten taped packages of heroin.

The advocate depute: “In bedrooms, there was a safe and wardrobes with designer clothes.

“On a chest of drawers, there was found a substantial amount of cash stacked in elastic bands.

“It was found to be £3,805. There was a Cartier watch in a box.”

There was then a further ten blocks of cocaine, each with a distinctive stamp, seized from a cupboard.

Clark was arrested while walking to the flat. He asked if the woman was “alright” and if he could see her.

There was a total of 21kg of cocaine found with a potential value of around £1.7m.

The heroin could have a maximum sale of £430,000.

DNA linked Clark to the scene. 

Ms Dalziel said: “Clark’s phone contained a number of photos and messages associated with the supply of controlled drugs.”

Clark admitted being concerned in the supply of cocaine and heroin.

Tony Lenehan KC, defending, told the sentencing that his offending took place after he returned from his second four-year period in the parachute regiment.

The advocate said: “He made poor decision after poor decision, which has culminated in where he is now.”

Judge Lord Cubie told Clark when jailing him: “The illegal supply of these drugs is a scourge on our society.

“The quantities and timescales you were involved in show more than a passive or transient role. This was for your own personal gain. 

“You agreed to be involved in the supply of such drugs with all the economic cost which feeds off crime, and the court takes a view of such offending. 

“You have served your country on two separate capacities and suffered from PTSD in your second period of service. You have previous convictions which are immaterial to this case.

“You have expressed regret and remorse and this conviction will have implications for you.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in

Today's Top Stories

Popular Videos

Latest in Glasgow & West

Trending Now