Emergency services stand down four days after blaze at recycling centre

There was no serious injuries following the 'unprecedented' fire at Blairlinn Industrial Estate.

Emergency services have stood down following a four-day response to a fire at an industrial estate in North Lanarkshire.

Six fire engines, six ambulances, a trauma team and a resuscitation rapid response unit, were sent to Blairlinn Industrial Estate in Cumbernauld after a fire broke out around 2.30pm on Tuesday.

The casualties, six men aged between 20 and 66, were taken to hospitals by the Scottish Ambulance Service for treatment to non-serious injuries.

Footage showed thick black smoke billowing into the sky as the blaze engulfed a single-storey building. Eyewitnesses said they could smell fumes from the fire miles away.

Fire crews were still there at 6.30am on Thursday, dampening down the area.

On Friday, it was confirmed the multi-agency response had concluded.

Nearby business properties which had been evacuated have reopened and local residents are no longer being advised to keep windows and doors closed.

Police Scotland said an investigation will be carried out in due course to establish the cause of the fire.

The incident happened at Moock Environmental Solutions, a toner cartridge recycler which has operated in Cumbernauld for over 25 years.

Emergency services, including six fire appliances, six ambulances, a trauma team and a resuscitation rapid response unit, were sent to Blairlinn industrial estate in Cumbernauld at around 2.30pm on Tuesday.Supplied via Morgan Collins

The company described it as an “unprecedented incident”.

“A fire occurred at our Cumbernauld facility on April 1”, a spokesperson said.

“We are extremely grateful to the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and the Scottish Ambulance Service for their swift and professional response. All staff evacuated the building safety, two team members remain under observation in hospital for minor injuries.

“We are cooperating fully with the ongoing investigation and prioritise the safety of our employees and all those affected. We are also deeply thankful for the support received from our neighbours, customers and partners.

“Further updates will be provided as more information becomes available.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code