Drug driver in 'dangerous' chase insists freedom bid was 'worth a try'

Bradley Hannon stuck 'two fingers' up at officers after reversing into a police car before evading capture for over a day.

Drug driver who led police on ‘dangerous’ high speed chase insists freedom bid was ‘worth a try’ Website

A man who was on the run tried to escape from police by running from a hospital toilet.

Bradley Hannon, 26, attempted to flee from Hairmyres Hospital, East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire, on December 10, 2022.

Hannon was eventually captured by officers having successfully evaded them for over a day and taken to hospital.

When he was eventually hauled to the ground after his last bid for freedom, he remarked: “It was worth a try.”

He earlier claimed he was under the influence of cocaine and had been awake for “a number of days.”

Hannon pled guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court to a string of charges including two for dangerous driving.

He also admitted driving while under the influence of two drugs as well as attempting to pervert the course of justice.

The court heard that Hannon was disqualified in 2020 for a period of five years.

The dad-of-two was pursued by police in Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire on December 8.

He drove on a pavement and grass verge at speed and carried on before coming to a stop.

Prosecutor Darren Harty said: “He reversed at speed directly into the front of the police car.

“He pulled forward and again reversed at speed colliding with the front of the police car.”

Hannon threw objects out of the window which struck the police car.

Mr Harty said: “He looked at both officers and proceeded to stick two fingers up at them and accelerated driving in excess of 60mph.”

The pursuit was halted due to the “dangerous and high risk to public safety.”

The court then was told Hannon initially drove on the wrong side of the road and on a pavement in Blantyre, South Lanarkshire, on December 9.

A witness later heard a “bang” and found a Vauxhall car which had crashed in the pavement area.

Prosecutor Darren Harty said: “It appeared as if it had collided with a street light and a street fence.”

Hannon was clocked exiting the car through a window and fled the scene with blood on him.

Police were able to trace Hannon to his home and noted there to be blood on the door handle and doorstep.

Mr Harty said: “He told officers that he had recently been taking cocaine and had been awake for a number of days due to his heavy use of it.”

Hannon was taken to hospital the following day as he complained about stomach pains.

Mr Harty said: “Officers took him to the toilet and took his handcuffs off so he could go to the toilet.

“Officers remained outside while he was within.

“Moments later, he burst out of the toilet and started to run down the corridor but police were able to tackle him to the ground.

“As Hannon was taken back out the hospital he stated ‘It was worth a try’.”

Paul Kavanagh, defending, told the court: “My client is realistic that a significant period in custody will be imposed.”

Sentence was deferred until next month pending background reports by Sheriff Gerard Bonnar.

Hannon, who appeared from custody, had his remand continued meantime.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code