Dog in animal hospital after being 'bitten on neck' by venomous snake

The pet's owner said the attack by the adder happened at Burncrooks Reservoir near Carbeth.

Dog in animal hospital after being bitten on neck by venomous snake in Stirlingshire, warns vet iStock
Adders are Scotland's only native snake and sole venomous reptile.

A vet clinic has issued a warning to dog walkers after a pet was bitten on the neck by an adder.

Glenbrae Veterinary Clinics Ltd, which has branches in Bearsden and Dumbarton, near Glasgow, reported the incident on Thursday.

The dog owner said the attack by the venomous snake happened at Burncrooks Reservoir near Carbeth in Stirlingshire while walking on the path near the angling club building.

The owner said they did not realise the immediate risk but their pet pooch was taken to the animal hospital where they were kept for monitoring overnight.

Junior the Yorkshire Terrier was in critical condition in ICU following the attack in Pitlochry. Supplied
Junior the Yorkshire Terrier was in critical condition in ICU following the attack in Pitlochry.

Earlier this month, a dog had his leg amputated after being bitten by a snake while on a walk in Perthshire.

Junior the Yorkshire Terrier was left in critical condition at Edinburgh Veterinary School’s ICU after being attacked by an adder near Pitlochry on Thursday, May 5.

The eight-year-old dog was bitten on his right paw at the River Tummel while out on a walk with his owner Lucy Gordon and her two other dogs, Maggie and Bear.

Adders are Scotland’s only native snake and sole venomous reptile. Scotland’s nature agency said the creatures are timid and unlikely to bite unless threatened.

An adder’s preferred defence is to hide in the undergrowth, NatureScot’s guidance says. But if a person gets too close, the adder will lash out to enable its escape.