A devastated pet owner has claimed her dog died after “overheating” during an appointment at a Glasgow-based groomers.
Bonnie, a three-year-old Chow, had to be put down after suffering brain damage when she was said to have been “left in a drying cabinet or had to many hand dryers on her” on Saturday afternoon.
Owner Kerrie Brown, from Glasgow, has been left heartbroken by her death and said she died due to “negligence from the staff”.
The 40-year-old received a call from the salon just hours after dropping off her pet, and was told Bonnie had been sick and had relieved herself, before becoming unresponsive.
“She was her normal self before she went in, and within two hours she had brain damage”, Kerrie told STV News.
“She was sick a few times, and had wet herself. They are signs of distress that qualified staff should have known and recognised.
“They should have stopped to get her water, and give her a break.
“When I turned up, the salon door was closed and the windows were steamed up. She is a big dog, lots of fur.
“She sounded like a pig with her breathing, so she must have been panting like mad.
“I think the staff over-dried her so they could get her out quick and get the next dog in.”
Kerrie took her dog to the vets, where she was told Bonnie had to be put down after suffering heatstroke which led to organ failure and brain damage.
She has now launched legal action against the salon, and contacted the Scottish SPCA – who confirmed that an investigation is ongoing.
She added: “I have contacted the SSPCA and they are doing an investigation into it.
“I have also contacted a lawyer and we plan to sue. I have made what happened to Bonnie go viral so this suffering does not happen to another dog.”
STV News has approached the dog groomers for comment.
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country