Dad-of-three assaulted police officer at Rangers title party in Glasgow

Stephen Devine tagged for nine months after pleading guilty to spitting in police constable's face.

Dad-of-three Stephen Devine assaulted police officer at Rangers title party in Glasgow SNS Group

A father-of-three has pled guilty to assaulting a police officer during celebrations in Glasgow city centre after Rangers won the Scottish Premiership title.

Stephen Devine spat in constable Gary Burns’ face on North Hanover Street on May 15, 2021.

The 32-year-old, of Wishaw, North Lanarkshire, had earlier attempted to cut through a police cordon established near George Square.

Devine pled guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court to assaulting PC Burns.

The self-employed joiner and company owner was ordered to undertake 300 hours of unpaid work.

He was also tagged for nine months, keeping him indoors between 8pm and 6am. Furthermore, he was told to pay the officer £500.

Sheriff Andrew Cubie said: “You do not have the excuse of youth.

“You are someone who is able to run a home and a business but you opted to celebrate a football success.

“You were unable to inhibit control, spat on an officer, and to be in George Square is an inexplicable way to act. You say you were unable to remember spitting but you were able to remember being hit by a baton.

“To me that just enhances the cowardice for this and not taking responsibility for it.”

An earlier hearing was told that Rangers fans had gathered at George Square from around 12pm to celebrate the club winning the Scottish Premiership title.

Officers entered George Square and formed a cordon, with PC Burns being involved, as the afternoon became “more volatile and behaviour escalated in the streets”.

Prosecutor Alasdair Knox said: “Devine was part of a large group next to the cordon and he attempted to get through.

“He was told by PC Burns several times to leave.

“Devine was angry he was not allowed in George Square and he spat in the face of PC Burns, who was wearing a face mask so it only landed on his cheek.”

Devine was arrested but he continued to shout at officers.

Paul Sweeney, defending, told the sentencing: “There is no excuse for what he did on this occasion – there is a clear loss of his temper. He was heavily intoxicated.

“He is ashamed and embarrassed. He was a season ticket holder and because of this matter he did not renew. 

“He is a self-employed joiner with his own company Devine Fitting Limited.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code