Construction work is under way on a multi-million pound leisure complex in East Dunbartonshire.
The Allander Leisure and Day Care Centre in Bearsden will feature state-of-the-art sports facilities, including an eight-lane swimming pool, games hall, squash courts, and a gym with high and low intensity studios.
A support facility will also be built for adults with learning difficulties, replacing Kelvinbank Resource Centre in Kirkintilloch.
It will include dementia, rebound, sensory and physiotherapy treatment rooms, training kitchens for learning, and arts and crafts, dance and music rooms.
East Dunbartonshire Council is redeveloping the current Bearsden site as part of a £42.5m investment.
Planning permission was granted in June 2020, subject to completion of a legal agreement and a number of conditions.
The Allander Leisure and Day Care Centre is expected to open in the autumn of 2022. The existing leisure centre will then be decommissioned and demolished.
A ‘sportsdrome’ – featuring football pitches and a tennis court – and the final car park works are expected to be complete by the summer of 2023.
Councillor Andrew Polson, joint leader of the council, said: “A new era really has begun for the Allander, with construction under way on a new, state-of-the-art, multi-million pound complex – including support facilities for adults with learning disabilities.
“I look forward to seeing the Allander Leisure and Day Care Centre take shape, and hope patrons and residents can bear with us while works are carried out.
“I am pleased that the current Allander will be able to open during construction – when restrictions presently in place due to the pandemic are eased.”
The new Allander Leisure and Day Care Centre plans include:
- Eight-lane swimming pool and a 20m training pool with movable floor
- Sauna and steam vitality room
- Hydrotherapy pool
- Gym and high and low intensity studios
- State-of-the-art spin room
- Eight-court games hall
- Two squash courts
- Wet and dry changing facilities
- ‘Sportsdrome’ – including two football pitches and a tennis court
- Flexible meeting rooms, quiet spaces and office
- Dementia, rebound, sensory and physiotherapy treatment rooms
- Arts and crafts, dance and music rooms
- State-of-the-art changing rooms
- Training kitchen for learning