Fishmonger hailed as 'hero' after catching baby from burning flat

Ryan McGeachie leapt into action when he heard a woman screaming as the flat in Glasgow began filling with smoke.

Co-op customer hailed as ‘hero’ after catching baby from burning flat from Harley Street, Ibrox Ryan McGeachie via Supplied

A man who was returning from his local shop has been hailed as a “hero” after catching a baby that was thrown to safety from a flat fire in Glasgow.

Ryan McGeachie was making his way back home from the Co-op on Friday when he heard a woman screaming from the property filled with smoke on Harley Street in the city’s Ibrox.

The 30-year-old rushed to the aid of the woman, and managed to catch her child from the bottom of the window before the mother jumped out behind.

Ryan, who is a fishmonger, revealed he was “shook-up” following the incident but was just thankful the child, who was a girl, was okay.

Harley Street, where the fire took place.

He told STV News: “I was just on the way back from the Co-op near me and I heard a woman screaming from her flat window. I wasn’t sure what was happening at first until she opened the window a bit more and smoke started coming out.

“Then she started shouting fire, and put her little girl up to the window.

“I immediately ran over below her window and let her know I was ready to catch her little girl.

“Thankfully I caught her. She had no injuries, and she was okay.

“I was a bit shook up for a little while after as it wasn’t a nice thing to see, but I’m thankful they were okay.”

The local community has now hailed Ryan as a ‘hero’, but he rejects the title, claiming that he was just doing the “right thing”.

He added: “I am very grateful for everyone’s comments, it’s a great feeling.

“I don’t feel like a hero though, I was just doing the right thing.

“I haven’t heard anything from the family, I gave a statement to the police the next day but they didn’t know either, as I did ask if the mum was okay as she had a bit of a bad fall.

“Who knows, maybe there’s a future in the emergency services for me one day!”

Police revealed that a 44-year-old woman was taken to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital for treatment while a man and woman were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “We received a report of a fire at a property on Harley Street, Glasgow, around 4.15pm on Friday, January 6.

“A 44-year-old woman was taken to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital for treatment and a man and a woman were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

“A number of residents were evacuated as a result of the fire.

“Enquiries into the cause of the fire are ongoing.”

David Murdoch, local senior officer for Glasgow City, said: “We were alerted at 4.15pm on Friday, January 6 to reports of a dwelling fire at Harley Street, Glasgow.

“Operations Control mobilised four appliances and an ariel ladder platform appliance to the scene and firefighters worked to extinguish the fire affecting a tenement building.

“Four casualties were passed into the care of the Scottish Ambulance Service and crews left the scene after making the area safe.

“Public safety is paramount, and we would always encourage people to call 999 and wait for the arrival of firefighters to prevent putting themselves at risk.

“Nevertheless, I would like to thank the member of the public for their support during a difficult incident.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code