Man caught on 999 call brutally attacking ex-partner with hammer

Christopher Jamieson battered his victim with the tool, punched, bit and choked her during the horror assault.

Christopher Jamieson caught on 999 call attacking former partner with hammer in Greenock iStock

A man was caught on a 999 call carrying out a brutal hammer attack on his former partner.

Christopher Jamieson, 40, smashed his way into the woman’s home late at night after she ended their relationship.

During a terrifying ten-minute assault, Jamieson battered his victim with the tool, punched, bit and choked her.

She had immediately called police on hearing Jamieson burst in.

The woman dropped her phone as he pounced – but the call remained connected and recorded him attacking her as she pleaded for her life.

On Tuesday, Jamieson appeared in the dock at the High Court in Glasgow.

He faces a lengthy jail-term after he pled guilty to assaulting his ex to her severe injury, permanent disfigurement and to the danger of her life at the property in Greenock, Inverclyde on February 8 this year.

Prosecutor Alex Sutherland said the pair had dated for six months until the woman ended the relationship.

Mr Sutherland said: “He appeared unable to accept it was over. Prior to the incident, he had contacted her repeatedly by phone and text message.”

The victim was in bed around midnight when she was suddenly awoken by a glass panel at her back door being smashed.

The advocate depute said: “Fearing for her safety, she called 999 and made her way back to the bedroom.

“She then saw Jamieson at the top of the stair carrying a hammer. She was utterly terrified.”

Jamieson threatened he was going to kill her as he went after her.

The thug pinned her down on a bed and then repeatedly punched her before smacking her on the head with the hammer around ten times.

Mr Sutherland said: “Jamieson began to choke her using both hands around her neck.

“At one point, he held the handle of the hammer across her neck causing her to struggle to breathe.”

The woman managed to briefly break free – but Jamieson went on to sink his teeth into her nose, arms and below her eye.

The prosecutor said Jamieson had not been aware of the 999 call.

The recording of the woman’s horror ordeal was played to judge Lord Armstrong on Tuesday.

During it, the victim hysterically screamed for help as sounds of the assault could be heard.

He stated to the woman that she was “going to die” and that he will “smash her face” as well as “burst her skull”.

The court was told police soon arrived and spotted Jamieson emerge from the bedroom claiming he was “giving himself up”.

Photos of his badly beaten and bruised victim were also shown in court.

Mr Sutherland said her injuries included fractures to her nose and hand.

The woman continues to suffer pain and may need surgery.

The hearing was told she remains traumatised by what happened.

Jamieson already had a history of violence with convictions from 2003, 2010 and 2011.

Lord Armstrong remanded Jamieson in custody and deferred sentencing for reports until September.

He was hit in the meantime with a non-harassment order banning him from contacting the woman.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in