A primary school that had to be evacuated over fears of a gas leak will remain closed as emergency crews work to make the area safe.
Emergency services were alerted to the potential hazard at Balmuildy Primary School in Bishopbriggs, East Dunbartonshire, at around 11.41am on Thursday.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) sent two appliances and specialist resources to the scene and evacuated the staff and children as a “precaution”.
SGN engineers were also sent to the school due to the “smell of gas”.
On Thursday afternoon, East Dunbartonshire Council announced the primary would remain closed throughout Friday for investigation works to conclude.
Ann Davie, depute chief executive for education, people and business, said: “Following the precautionary evacuation at Balmuildy Primary School earlier today, investigations are continuing and the decision has been taken to keep the school closed tomorrow for these to be concluded.
“The school community has been advised and a further update will be provided over the weekend.”
Waseem Hanif, spokesperson for gas distribution company SGN, said: “We attended Balmuildy Primary School earlier today, as the provider of the gas emergency service in Scotland, following reports of a possible smell of gas.
“As a precaution, the school has been evacuated and we are working with the emergency services to make safe.”
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country