A cat has been put to sleep after suffering antifreeze poisoning in East Ayrshire.
Velvet’s owner discovered her outside a property on Lothian Road in Stewarton on Sunday, where she appeared “wobbly and lethargic”.
Her concerned owner rushed her to an out-of-hours vet, who confirmed she was suffering from antifreeze poisoning.
Velvet had to be put to sleep as a result, days before she was due to turn one.
The Scottish SPCA has issued a warning to the public over the dangers of antifreeze and urged people to store the product safely.
Inspector Caitlin Rea said: “This has been an incredibly distressing, sad time for Velvet’s owner and our thoughts are with them.
“This has been a very sad outcome for a young, otherwise healthy cat and we’d like to ensure that no other owners in the area suffer this heartbreaking situation.
“At present, there’s nothing to suggest this was a deliberate act, although we’d always encourage the public to report anything suspicious.
“It’s common for cats to access garages or areas where antifreeze may not be stored safely so we are appealing for local residents to please check anywhere that they think might be a risk.
“It is essential that everyone stores antifreeze out of reach of cats and other animals and checks routinely to make sure there are no leaks. Ethylene glycol is highly poisonous and causes a very slow, painful death.
“There are strict guidelines for use and anyone who uses this substance to cause deliberate harm is committing an offence.
“We’d also ask local cat owners to be vigilant and to seek urgent veterinary treatment if their cat appears unwell.
“If anyone is concerned about the welfare of animals in their local area, they can contact our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999.”