Cameron House hotel will reopen in August for the first time since a fatal fire killed two guests in 2017.
The luxury five-star resort on the banks of Loch Lomond is taking bookings again as it enters the final phase of a restoration project that includes a multi-million pound extension.
The owner and operator of the hotel – Cameron House Resort (Loch Lomond) Ltd – admitted health and safety failings over the blaze more than three years ago and was fined half-a-million pounds at Dumbarton Sheriff Court in January.
Simon Midgley, 38, and his partner Richard Dyson, 32, died after fire broke out at the five-star hotel on December 18, 2017.
Andy Roger, resort director at Cameron House, said: “We are very excited to confirm that after a careful and meticulous restoration process, Cameron House Hotel will reopen on August 1, 2021.
“We are looking forward enormously to opening our doors once again, welcoming both our returning guests and new faces to our beautiful resort.
“Completely remodelled to the highest standards, guests can enjoy a truly luxurious experience while relaxing in the beautiful surroundings of Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park.”
Cameron House said in a statement on Thursday that a “comprehensive range of fire safety measures” had been implemented during the building’s renovation as it prepares to reopen on August 1.
The 2017 blaze started after a night porter left ashes and smouldering embers from an open fire in a plastic bag inside a cupboard that contained combustibles including kindling and newspapers.
The hotel’s fine would have been £750,000 had it not been for the company’s guilty plea.
Cameron House apologised “unreservedly” for the failings and said the “awful accident should never have happened”.
Night porter Christopher O’Malley, who admitted breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act, was given a community payback order, told to carry out 300 hours of unpaid work and is under supervision for 18 months.
A sheriff told O’Malley, 35, he was not being sent to prison because the fire wasn’t started deliberately and he had not been given proper training to dispose of the ashes.
It was announced in April that no fatal accident inquiry will be held into the deaths of Mr Midgley and Mr Dyson.
The Crown Counsel came to the decision following an investigation that led to two convictions over the blaze.
A multi-agency investigation carried out by Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, West Dunbartonshire Council and Police Scotland was overseen by the Crown Office & Procurator Fiscal Service.
Crown Counsel said they were satisfied that the reasons for the fire had been established and that the circumstances of the deaths were publicly identified during the prosecution process.
But Mr Midgley’s mother told STV News in April she still needs answers about her son’s death.
Jane Midgley criticised the Crown Office and said a fatal accident inquiry was in the public interest.
TV producer Mr Midgley, from West Yorkshire, died at the scene of the fire, which began just after 6.30am.
Mr Dyson, a 32-year-old freelance journalist from Nottingham, was taken to the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley, where he was pronounced dead.
More than 200 guests were evacuated from the building, which has been closed for refurbishment since the fire.