CalMac services have returned to normal after an alleged bomb threat caused a major evacuation.
Hundreds of passengers were evacuated from the MV Caledonian Isles on Friday as crews faced an “unprecedented situation” with two major incidents ongoing simultaneously.
Emergency services were alerted that a passenger had gone overboard from the ferry as it neared Ardrossan around 5.30pm.
After being brought back onboard, a “credible security threat” was allegedly made by the man, forcing the onboard crew to begin a full vessel search while attempting to land.
All 329 passengers were evacuated upon arrival in Ardrossan, while police also cleared the port.
Officers declared that the threat was not credible and the situation had been resolved around 8.30pm following a search of the ferry. Passengers were allowed back on board to recover their vehicles.
A 23-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident, and investigations are ongoing.
Disruption between Ardrossan and Brodick continued into Saturday but services have now returned to normal.
CalMac praised the work of staff in dealing with the “unprecedented situation”.
They also acknowledged the support of passengers, with one assisting during the man overboard incident by maintaining visual contact with the casualty in the water and helping to deploy life-saving equipment.
A spokesperson said their assistance was “invaluable” and contributed to the successful outcome of the rescue.
Duncan Mackison, CEO of CalMac, said: “The crew’s ability to adapt rapidly to a highly challenging and evolving situation is testament to their professionalism and the effectiveness of the extensive training they undertake on a regular basis. Through their calm and decisive actions, the crew successfully brought both incidents to a safe conclusion.
“I was so impressed with the professional and calm manner in which the Master and all the crew of MV Caledonian Isles executed an exemplary FRC operation, followed by the management of a full-scale, multi-agency security incident.
“Incidents such as these serve as a reminder that we never know when emergency situations may arise, but I am truly reassured and immensely proud of the way the vessel team reacted to such an unexpected turn of events.
“A life was saved under very difficult circumstances where, in effect, two major incidents were being managed at the same time. The crew’s actions were outstanding and reflect the highest standards of professionalism, training and dedication to keeping our passengers safe. Many congratulations to everyone involved, and thank you again for such an effective response under real pressure.”
First Minister John Swinney added: “I am immensely grateful to the crew of MV Caledonian Isles and CalMac staff for the professionalism they deployed in this incident.
“I am pleased this has been resolved and I appreciate the patience and co-operation of members of the public, including the passenger who bravely assisted crew during the rescue.
“This is a powerful reminder of the skill, training and dedication of our ferry crews, who work every day to keep passengers safe across our vital west coast network.
“I will see this dedication first hand on Monday, when I visit Gourock to meet CalMac staff and hear more about the work they do to serve island and coastal communities.”
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

STV News



















