Ben Lomond fire 'caused by dropped cigarette' extinguished

The National Trust for Scotland confirmed emergency services put out the blaze on Wednesday afternoon.

Ben Lomond fire: Firefighters extinguish mountain blaze as National Trust for Scotland assess damage National Trust for Scotland via Supplied

Fire crews have extinguished a wildfire that broke out on Ben Lomond on Tuesday afternoon.

The National Trust for Scotland have asked members of the public to avoid the Stirlingshire mountain while a damage assessment takes place.

The blaze broke out on Tuesday with emergency services being called to the west slope of the mountain at around 2.15pm.

The conservation charity released a statement regarding the fire, which stretched to 1km long, stating that it was caused “by a single dropped cigarette”.

No injuries have been reported from the incident. 

A National Trust for Scotland spokesperson said: “We’re pleased to confirm that the wildfire on Ben Lomond has now been safely put out and the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service have left the site.

“We’re grateful to everyone who helped at this difficult time and relieved that everyone is safe.

“We’re still assessing the scale of the damage and will provide more information when we can.

“We’d very much appreciate it if people could continue to avoid the area for the time being.

“As a reminder to anyone planning to visit any of our hills soon, please be aware of the extremely high fire risk – no fires, naked flames, cigarettes or barbeques please.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code