Bail-flouting killer who stabbed bodybuilder to death jailed

Marius Bauba flouted eight different bail orders after he knifed Morgan Dunn at a house in Ayr last year.

Bail-flouting killer who stabbed bodybuilder to death jailed Police ScotlandGoogle Maps

A man who boasted police would not catch him after killing an ex-bodybuilder has been jailed for nine years.

Marius Bauba flouted eight different bail orders after he stabbed Morgan Dunn, 34, to death at a house in Ayr, South Ayrshire, on February 8 last year.

The 27-year-old tried to dodge arrest by dyeing his hair and checking into hotels in Dumfries, Gretna and Carlisle using false names.

But, police eventually found the dad-of-one 11 days after the fatal attack.

Bauba initially faced a murder allegation when he appeared at the High Court in Glasgow.

But, prosecutors accepted his guilty plea to the reduced charge of culpable homicide.

An earlier hearing was told the men had been at the house of a mutual friend in Ayr.

They did not know each other, but had posed for a photo together shortly before the killing.

The pair, however, ended up arguing in the kitchen that afternoon.

It was then Mr Dunn appeared to go for a knife on a worktop – but Bauba also went for the blade.

Prosecutor Mark McGuire said: “Bauba got there first…a struggle ensued and he stabbed Morgan Dunn twice in the chest.”

The advocate depute said it was accepted “provocation can be made out” reducing the crime from murder.

The court heard Bauba escaped before two other people in the house discovered the stricken victim.

A 999 call was made, but Mr Dunn – who lived in Ayrshire with his mum – died 40 minutes later having been stabbed in the heart.

The court heard Bauba initially called a friend to meet him at a McDonald’s restaurant.

This person gave him £200 before the killer contacted another man, who arranged for him to stay at a Holiday Inn in Dumfries.

Mr McGuire said: “Bauba claimed he had fallen out with his girlfriend and had nowhere to go.”

But, his partner Kelly Maxwell then joined him at the hotel.

She quizzed him on Mr Dunn’s death, but he denied being responsible.

The couple moved onto a second hotel in the town before checking in for two nights at another in Carlisle.

Mr McGuire said: “At some point during his time with Ms Maxwell, Bauba dyed his hair.”

The false names of “Alan Graham” and “Barry Gilmour” were also used during the stays.

Bauba finally visited the Solway Lodge Hotel in Gretna claiming his car had broken down.

The advocate depute said: “At a suggestion (by staff) police might be looking for him if they found his car abandoned, Bauba stated, ‘They will never find me’.”

But, detectives were later tipped off where the killer was.

He was found in his room there, but made no comment about the attack.

Bauba was on the streets despite being the subject of eight bail orders from Ayr Sheriff Court – the last imposed a week before the killing.

These were for various offences including a number of assaults

He was also serving a community payback order at the time – which he had breached – as well as awaiting sentencing for disorderly conduct and flouting bail.

Brian McConnachie QC, defending, said Bauba “deeply regrets” being responsible for the death.

He added that the pair argued shortly after a friendly Facebook post was sent to a friend of theirs.

Lord Matthews told Bauba – who also admitted attempting to pervert the course of justice – that he had to sentence him on the basis that Mr Dunn went for the knife first.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code