- Emergency services responded to ‘unprecedented levels of violence’ on Bonfire Night
- There were 21 injuries to police officers over an eight-hour period
- 17 people in total have been charged as police continue enquiries
- First Minister Humza Yousaf called the scenes “disgraceful”
The total number of people charged over Bonfire Night violence has risen to 17 in an ongoing police investigation.
There were a total of 21 injuries after petrol bombs and fireworks were thrown at officers in Glasgow and Edinburgh on November 5.
On Friday, a further eight charges were confirmed.
Two boys, both aged 15, have been charged in connection with preparing petrol bombs and firing fireworks at police in Edinburgh’s Niddrie area.
Six other boys, aged between 14 and 16, have been charged in connection with possession of fireworks and associated disorder in the Southhouse and Gracemount areas of the capital.
It comes after the police confirmed a further seven people had been arrested in connection with the Bonfire Night disorder on Wednesday.
This is in addition to the two arrests made on the night itself.
Police said enquiries are ongoing as they continued to appeal to the public in an effort to identify all involved.
Chief inspector Kieran Dougal said: “The disorder seen in the capital on bonfire night was completely unacceptable and these charges show our continued commitment to identifying and tracing those involved in the incidents.
“Our investigation continues and I would urge the public to continue to help us with that by reporting any information to 101, or send it to the portal link. Alternatively you can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 where information can be given anonymously.”
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country