Garden centres preparing for life after lockdown

Cardwell Garden Centre in Gourock has installed protective guards and a one-way system.

They have missed the peak of their season, but garden centres are preparing to open their doors next week as the lockdown finally begins to ease.

One centre getting ready to welcome customers is Cardwell Garden Centre in Gourock, Inverclyde.

They will have a one-way system in operation and protective guards in place at checkouts.

This company believes the pandemic will cost it around half a million pounds.

ADVERT

Kieran Gallagher, a director at Cardwell Garden Centre, told STV News: “The fact that we can reopen, the fact we can do a certain level of trading, it enables us to have that cash flow and to keep the business moving along.

“There’s no way to claw that money back, that trade’s gone now, all we can do is make sure our business survives through this pandemic and we can at some point regroup and get the business back to where it belongs.”

Freeman ‘confident’ Test and Protect will be taken seriously

Under scheme households are told to stay at home as soon as anyone experiences symptoms and apply for a test.

STV
Coronavirus: Anyone testing positive will be asked to provide details of people they have been in close contact with.

Health secretary Jeane Freeman is confident people will take the Test and Protect scheme seriously and continue to follow lockdown rules with a “spirit of solidarity”.

It follows polling commissioned by the Scottish Government suggesting a large majority of the public supports the measures aimed at controlling the spread of coronavirus.

Under the test, trace and isolate scheme, households are told to stay at home as soon as anyone experiences symptoms and apply for a test on the NHS Inform website.

Ms Freeman said: “Test and Protect is an essential step in our response to Covid-19.

ADVERT

“We are taking this step now because it’s the appropriate thing to do for this stage of the virus.

“As with lockdown, we need everyone to take this next step very seriously.

“They have done this so far and I am very confident they will step up to show the same spirit of solidarity and care for each other as before.”

Anyone testing positive for the virus will be asked to provide details of people they have been in close contact with to NHS contact tracers, who will then be asked to isolate for 14 days.

ADVERT

A survey of 1037 adults across Scotland, carried out by YouGov for the Scottish Government, found 88% are willing to provide details of contacts if they develop coronavirus symptoms.

The same proportion also said they would want a test – if at all possible – if they develop symptoms.

Asked if they “understand the importance of testing to stop the spread of coronavirus”, 91% of respondents said they do.

The survey was carried out between May 19 and May 21, before both the introduction of the Test and Protect scheme and the controversy caused by the Prime Minister’s senior aide Dominic Cummings flouting lockdown guidance.

Speaking on Thursday after the First Minister announced an easing of lockdown, Scottish Conservative leader Jackson Carlaw said: “Nicola Sturgeon admitted to being nervous about this phase of the exit and no wonder.

“It will only work if testing is up to scratch, and so far that has not been the case.

“We still don’t really know what happened to the 2000 tracers who were meant to be in place by the end of the month, nor how long it will be until the system is in full swing.”

ADVERT

Scottish Labour leader Richard Leonard said: “We want to see the Test and Protect system work effectively in stopping the spread of Covid-19 but for there to be confidence in the system there must be assurances from the government that all the testing capacity available is fully used – this hasn’t been the case so far.”

Anyone with the symptoms of Covid-19 – a new continuous cough, temperature, loss or change in sense of taste or smell – can go online to nhsinform.scot to book a test.

People who cannot access the internet can also call 0800 028 2816.

More on:

Calls to confirm inquiry into Milly Main’s hospital death

Kimberly Darroch has said she believes her daughter's death was '100%' due to contaminated water.

Milly Main: Calls for inquiry.

Scotland’s top prosecutor has been challenged to confirm if a Fatal Accident Inquiry will be held into the death of a ten-year-old girl at a hospital where concerns have been raised about contaminated water supplies.

Labour MSP Anas Sarwar called on Lord Advocate James Wolffe QC to “publicly confirm” if such a probe will take place into the death of Milly Main.

She was undergoing treatment for cancer at the Royal Hospital for Children, which is part of the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital campus in Glasgow.

But her mother Kimberly Darroch has said she believes her daughter’s death in 2017 was “100%” due to contaminated water.

ADVERT

Sarwar was clear that the inquiry into the youngster’s death should not take place while the coronavirus pandemic was ongoing.

But he insisted: “The coronavirus crisis cannot be allowed to prevent all the facts being made public about the failures of Greater Glasgow and Clyde health board.”

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde reported Milly’s death to the Procurator Fiscal in February this year.

And Sarwar, a Glasgow MSP who has been supporting the family, said confirmation that a Fatal Accident Inquiry would be held would “help reassure the public that justice will be sought”.

ADVERT

He said: “As the coronavirus outbreak continues to take its toll, this is an incredibly anxious time for all families. But for Milly’s family there is the added anxiety of the ongoing search for the truth about her death.

“With so much pressure on public services, it is clear to me that an inquiry cannot be held until we have exited the coronavirus routemap.

“However, there is absolutely no reason at all why the Lord Advocate could not publicly confirm now that an independent Fatal Accident Inquiry will be held into Milly’s death.

“I believe this is the very least the family deserves to hear at this difficult time, as we approach the third anniversary of her death.

“I believe it would also be a source of huge comfort to the many other families seeking answers, and help reassure the public that justice will be sought.”

A spokesman for the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service said: “The Procurator Fiscal has received a report in connection with the death of a child in Glasgow on August 31 2017.

“The investigation into the death, under the direction of Scottish Fatalities Investigation Unit (SFIU), is ongoing and the family will continue to be kept updated in relation to any significant developments.”


Man struck by car in hit-and-run murder bid

The incident, which police are treating as attempted murder, happened in Blantyre on Friday.

Police Scotland
Hit-and-run: Police treating it as attempted murder.

A man is suffering life threatening injuries after being struck by a car in a hit-and-run.

The incident, which police are treating as attempted murder, happened in Anderson Gardens, Blantyre, at around 7.40am on Friday. 

A man was deliberatly hit by a silver Peugeot and was taken Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.

Detective Sergeant Laura Sands said: “This was a reckless act that has resulted in a man sustaining life threatening injuries. 

ADVERT

“Although this happened early in the morning, I would ask that if anyone noticed a car matching this description or any suspicious activity in the area to contact police. 

“We believe the car may have driven in the direction of Glasgow Road and would ask anyone with any information to please come forward.

“I would also appeal to those who have possible dashcam footage that could assist with our investigation to get in touch with officers.”


Diabetics make up almost 20% of Covid-19 hospital deaths

Almost a fifth of coronavirus-related deaths in hospitals across Scotland have been diabetics, according to figures.

Getty Images
Nurses are being made to share equipment, one says.

Almost a fifth of coronavirus-related deaths in hospitals across Scotland have been diabetics, according to official figures.

The statistics have sparked calls for protection and guidelines for those with the condition as lockdown restrictions begin to ease.

It follows similar reports diabetics made up 30% of fatalities in hospitals south of the border.

Figures obtained by the PA news agency from the National Records of Scotland show 554 of those who died with Covid-19 mentioned on their death certificates up to May 24 also had diabetes.

ADVERT

That is almost 15% of the 3779 total coronavirus deaths at that time.

Out of the 1760 people who died in hospital with the virus, 341 were diabetics – 19%.

Angela Mitchell, national director at Diabetes Scotland said: “The recent statistics underline the urgent need to ensure people with diabetes are protected and supported, especially as lockdown measures are eased.

“There must be assurances that people with diabetes should not be put in a situation that puts them at risk at work.

ADVERT

“Employers must put measures in place to keep people with diabetes safe, either by supporting people to work at home or, where this is not possible, by putting people with diabetes on furlough or by putting measures in place to allow stringent social distancing for those key workers who absolutely must be at work.

“We need to make sure that the new Government workplace guidelines work for people with diabetes.”

The figures also show 10% of people who died in care homes had the condition – 175 out of 1749 – and diabetics made up 14% of those who died at home – 38 out of 264.

Both type one and type two diabetics are included in the numbers, without a breakdown.

The most recent Scottish Diabetic Survey shows there were more than 304,000 people with the condition in Scotland in 2018, making up 5.6% of the population.

A Scottish Government spokesman said: “We recognise the challenges faced on a daily basis by people living with diabetes.

“Specific support programmes are in place for people living with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes.

ADVERT

“We keep all clinical guidance under review and continue to work with our advisors – including a specific diabetes speciality advisor.

“If anyone with diabetes has any concerns about their condition, they should contact their GP or their diabetes clinical team.

“They will be able to provide specific advice and support based on their individual circumstances.”


What’s it like being pregnant during a pandemic?

Mums-to-be feeling even more concerned during what is already an anxious period of their life.

Pregnant women are in the ‘vulnerable’ category during the coronavirus pandemic.

That’s left many feeling even more concerned during what is already an anxious time in their life.

Scotland Tonight spoke with mum-to-be Lauren McNally about what she’s going through.

You can access the latest NHS advice for pregnant women and Covid-19 here: https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/infections-and-poisoning/coronavirus-covid-19/parents-and-families/coronavirus-covid-19-pregnancy-and-newborn-babies


Man seriously injured in gang attack in back garden

The 34-year-old was targeted by four men at around 3.50pm in Glasgow on Thursday.

SNS
Attack: Man seriously injured.

A man has been assaulted by a gang of men in the back garden of a house in Glasgow. 

The 34-year-old was targeted by four men at around 3.50pm in Springburn Way on Thursday.

The suspects pulled up in a dark-coloured car, parking it in the residents’ car park, ahead of the attack.

Following the assault three men got back into the car and fled at speed, in the direction of Atlas Road. The final suspect ran away in the same direction.

ADVERT

Emergency services attended and the victim was taken to Glasgow Royal Infirmary with serious injuries.

Detective constable Andrew Barbour said: “This type of violent behaviour is completely unacceptable and officers are carrying out extensive door-to-door and CCTV enquiries to trace those responsible.

“We know that there were members of the public around the area at the time and are appealing for people to please come forward, whether you have seen the assault take place or the vehicle used by the suspects. 

“Our enquiries have so far shown a large volume of private and commercial vehicles traveling along the street at the time, so please review any dashcam footage and contact Police Scotland.”

ADVERT

Anyone with information is urged to call Police on 101, quoting incident 2425 of 28 May. Alternatively, you can contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, if you wish to remain anonymous.”


‘Extend Brexit talks or risk catastrophic hit to economy’

Former Tory MEP Struan Stevenson insisted it 'makes sense' to have longer for the transition talks.

Getty Images
Stevenson has urged Johnson to extend deadline.

A former Tory MEP has urged Boris Johnson to extend the deadline for the Brexit transition period as he warned failing to secure a trade deal, combined with the impact of Covid-19, would be “catastrophic” for the economy.

Struan Stevenson, who was a Conservative representative at Brussels for 15 years, insisted it “makes sense” to have longer for the transition talks because economists are already predicting “a recession to end all recessions” following the coronavirus pandemic.

The UK has already formally left the European Union and negotiators on both sides have until the end of this year to agree a deal setting out their future relationship.

EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier confirmed earlier this week the bloc is “open” to a two-year Brexit delay – but his UK counterpart David Frost insisted the “firm policy” of the Government remains not to extend beyond the end of the year.

ADVERT

Stevenson argued that “throwing a cliff-edge Brexit into the mix” as the economy faces the prospect of a coronavirus-related recession would be devastating.

Writing in The Herald newspaper, he urged Johnson: “Grant an extension to the Brexit deadline, Boris. You know it makes sense.

A decision on whether or not to seek an extension to the Brexit transition period must be made by July 1. It would surely be prudent and entirely understandable given the Covid-19 pandemic to ask for a six-month extension, even if that extension was ultimately found not to be needed?”

If no deal is agreed, the UK faces the prospect of reverting to World Trade Organisation rules, which could see tariffs imposed on businesses dealing with the EU.

ADVERT

The ex-MEP added: “That would be a disaster for the Government, particularly when Northern Ireland, Scotland and London voted by a majority to remain in the EU.

“With the outlook for the economy at rock bottom, the prospects for the UK suffering a double whammy from economic recession caused by the coronavirus and a no-deal Brexit are looming large.

“The mountains of money thrown at the Covid-19 crisis will impact on Britain’s economic position for generations. Economists are predicting a recession to end all recessions.”

Adding a “disorderly Brexit” to this at the end of the year would “dent market confidence precisely when we need markets to rebound”, Stevenson added.

“Market stability is vital, as most British citizens are investors through their pensions. The poor, the elderly and disabled will be most at risk and leaving the EU with no deal will add to the country’s economic and social woes.

“We have all come through an international emergency and even the gloomiest forecasters know that economic recovery will eventually follow the decline. We must do nothing to jeopardise that recovery or add to the current misery.”


Jonny Hayes to leave Celtic after three seasons at Parkhead

The 32-year-old is coming to the end of his contract having made 67 appearances for the club.

SNS
Leaving: Jonny Hayes.

Jonny Hayes has announced he is leaving Celtic after three seasons at Parkhead.

The 32-year-old is coming to the end of his contract having made 67 appearances for the club since arriving from Aberdeen.

The Irishman wrote on his Instagram account: “From the lows of breaking a leg to the highs of winning a treble, the last three years have been an enjoyable journey, in which I’ve worked under some terrific staff and shared a dressing room with some unbelievable guys!

“Football at times brings tough decisions, so I’d like to thank you for all the support received along the way! Stay safe everyone!”

ADVERT

The Republic of Ireland international proved a reliable servant, often deployed at left-back instead of his preferred position further forward.

Hayes’ Celtic team-mates past and present sent him their best wishes as they responded to his message.

Skipper Scott Brown said: “Going to miss you my man. What a man and what a player. Hard going in the dressing room to replace x.”

Former Hoops left-back Kieran Tierney added: “What a guy mate. Memories nobody can ever take away.”

ADVERT

Mikael Lustig said: “Honestly the best teammate you can have! Top player and decent stories. Was a pleasure to sit next to you during our years together. All the best in the future my friend.” 

More on:

Outdoor forestry operations to restart from next week

New guidance has been published setting out safe working procedures for Scotland's forestry sector.

Outdoor forestry operations can restart from next week.

New guidance has been published setting out safe working procedures for Scotland’s forestry sector in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Rural economy secretary Fergus Ewing said the documents contained “clear guidance to help a gradual and safe restart over time”.

With Scotland now in phase one of Nicola Sturgeon’s four-part plan for easing out of lockdown, outdoor forestry operations can restart from next week.

According to the guidance, some activities within the sector – such as travel to and from sites – will need additional control measures to enable social distancing, with enhanced hygiene regimes also required.

ADVERT

It also highlights the need for the cleaning of shared equipment and welfare facilities on sites, and says only the minimum number of people needed for a task should be working.

Mr Ewing said the forestry sector had “already made a vital contribution to the current Covid-19 response”, with workers producing materials used in the building of emergency coronavirus hospitals set up throughout the UK, as well as the pallets necessary to transport food and medical supplies.

As Scotland moves out of lockdown the sector will be involved in the “green recovery” that ministers want to see, he added.

The guidance has been produced by the Scottish Government together with industry bodies Scottish Forestry, Forestry and Land Scotland, Confor, the Forest Industry Safety Accord and the Forestry Contracting Association, with unions and workers’ representatives also consulted.

ADVERT

Mr Ewing said: “Easing out of lockdown will only be successful if we do so gradually and cautiously.

“The focus of the Scottish Government remains on tackling the virus, protecting public health and saving lives, but we are also acutely aware of the need to support vital sectors of the economy, such as forestry, to resume their activities safely.

“I welcome the fact that outdoor forestry operations can all now restart beginning next week, but it is vitally important that physical distancing is observed at all times to ensure this is done safely, and which reassures everyone that no-one’s health is put at unnecessary risk.”

You're up to date

You've read today's top stories. Where would you like to go next?