Vassell at the double as Killie end winless run with victory over Livi

Kilmarnock move up to fifth in the table with their second league win of the season.

Vassell at the double as Killie end winless run with victory over Livi

A double from Kyle Vassell helped Kilmarnock ease past Livingston to move into the top half of the Premiership table.

The Killie captain netted with clever headers either side of the half-time interval after Sean Kelly’s penalty for Livi had cancelled out Danny Armstrong’s opener.

The victory sees Derek McInnes’ side move above their opponents on goal difference into fifth place, while Livingston remain in seventh.

Kilmarnock made two changes from the team beaten by Celtic last time out. In came Liam Polworth and Marley Watkins, with Robbie Deas and Matty Kennedy making way.

Livingston also made two changes after their win over Motherwell. Michael Devlin and Mo Sangare made the starting line-up at the expense of Ayo Obileye and Stephen Kelly.

The home side took the lead with the first real chance of the game after 16 minutes. Corrie Ndaba’s cross was completely missed by David Watson but rolled kindly through to Armstrong who lashed a shot past Shamal George.

Livingston appealed for a penalty following Ndaba’s challenge on Daniel MacKay but neither referee Craig Napier nor VAR Greg Aitken were moved into taking action.

Killie went straight up the park and George did well to push away Armstrong’s goalbound drive, before Polworth’s effort was deflected for a corner as the home side looked to press home their superiority.

Livingston, though, did get a penalty after 34 minutes. Brad Lyons connected with Sangare as he tried to make a clearance and Kelly sent Will Dennis the wrong way from the spot to draw his team level.

A melee then broke out involving around 10 players following an incident between Devlin and Watson. After a delay, both players were booked.

The home side moved back in front three minutes before half-time. Armstrong dispatched an enticing free kick from wide on the right and Vassell was able to steer a header beyond George and into the far corner.

Kilmarnock looked to add to their lead early after the restart but Lyons’ shot was wayward, while Polworth’s effort was easily saved by George.

A third goal for the home side, though, duly arrived just shy of the hour mark and Vassell was again the scorer.

Mere moments after striking the crossbar, the Kilmarnock captain met a Watson cross and this time made no mistake with his header.

Lloyd sent a free kick just wide for Livingston late on but the home side held firm to coast to just their second league win of the season.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in