Shankland double helps Hearts take all three points from Fir Park

Hearts travelled to Fir Park in Premiership action on Saturday.

Shankland double helps Hearts take all three points from Fir Park SNS Group

Lawrence Shankland scored a double as Hearts beat Motherwell 2-1 at Fir Park in the Premiership on Saturday.

The forward struck midway through each half as the Tynecastle side took all three points and moved into fourth place in the league.

Motherwell went into the game with no wins in their last eight games, with their last victory coming against the visitors away back on September 3.

Hearts were looking for a win that could potentially take them up a place in the table, depending on other results, and they took the lead half way through the first 45.

Shankland was the quickest to react to a corner and he turned it into the net to make it 1-0 after 27 minutes.

Steven Naismith’s side thought they had a penalty just minutes later when the referee was called over to the VAR monitor to check a challenge on Liam Boyce, but it was one rare occasion when the official decided to stick by his original decision.

Both goalkeepers on display will be competing to be between the sticks for Scotland’s games against Georgia and Norway and they looked to stake their claim to Steve Clarke when they were called into action in the second-half.

Zander Clark had to be alert when Dan Casey burst into his box before firing a shot goal-wards and minutes later Liam Kelly saved Stephen Kingsley’s effort from close range.

Kelly then done well again to stop Shankland getting his second off the game with a chipped shot from a tight angle.

But the Scotland striker never had to wait much longer for his brace when he all-but secured the three-points for Hearts with around 15 minutes remaining.

Shankland rounded the keeper before putting it in the net for his tenth goal of the season to make it 2-0.

Motherwell were then handed a lifeline when they were awarded a penalty for a handball against Alex Cochrane.

And Blair Spittal made no mistake from the spot when he fired it into the top corner to make 2-1.

The Steelmen had been second best for around 80 minutes but now had their tails up as they chased an equaliser.

And Spittal came close to drawing them level when he fired a shot just wide with two minutes remaining.

But Hearts held on and took all three points back to Edinburgh.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code