Scottish Cup: Kelty stun holders St Johnstone, Aberdeen cruise through

St Johnstone's defence of the trophy was short-lived as they were knocked out by Kelty Hearts.

Scottish Cup: Kelty stun holders St Johnstone, Aberdeen cruise through SNS Group

Holders St Johnstone have been knocked out of the Scottish Cup by League 2 side Kelty Hearts.

Callum Davidson’s side, who had suffered nine successive defeats and fallen to the foot of the Premiership, had hoped that the defence of the trophy they won last year would spark a turnaround in form but that didn’t materialise as they were taken to extra-time after neither side could find the net in 90 minutes.

Kelty Hearts saw their chance for an upset and Kallum Higginbotham’s goal in the 103rd minute was enough to put Kevin Thomson’s side into the fifth round.

Motherwell flirted with an upset as they were taken to extra time by Greenock Morton and fell behind to the Championship side.

Robbie Muirhead’s strike put Morton ahead at the end of the first period of extra-time but Motherwell staged a late fightback, with Kevin van Veen equalising from the spot before Liam Donnelly’s powerful late shot put the Steelmen through.

Kilmarnock’s home tie against Dundee United was marked out as one to watch and it took 120 minutes to decide who would go into the next round draw. Marc McNulty put United ahead after just four minutes but Rory McKenzie levelled midway through the first half. An extra-time goal from Dylan Levitt settled things in united’s favour.

Aberdeen boss Stephen Glass left nothing to chance, fielding a full-strength team against Edinburgh City. Ryan Hedges, Christian Ramirez and Lewis Ferguson were all on the scoreline as they won 3-0.

The all-Premiership tie between Livingston and Ross County was always likely to be a tight affair and it was David Martindale’s Livi side who came out on top. Ayo Obileye scored the only goal of the game from the penalty spot after Declan Drysdale fouled Bruce Anderson in the box.

St Mirren scored two early goals to make themselves comfortable away to Ayr United. Kyle McAllister scored after seven minutes and Greg Kiltie added a second with just 24 minutes on the clock to seal a 2-0 win.

Dundee haven’t had their troubles to seek in the Premiership but found some respite in the cup. Leigh Griffiths scored from the spot in their 1-0 win at Dumbarton to earn progress to the next round.

Championship leaders Arbroath dispatched Darvel 3-0, while Partick Thistle were 1-0 winners over Airdrieonians. Raith Rovers were comfortable 3-0 winners away to Banks O’Dee. Peterhead came through on penalty kicks after drawing 2-2 with East Kilbride.

Annan Athletic scored a 124th minute winner to settle a 4-3 thriller against Clydebank.

Hearts were 5-0 winners at Auchinleck Talbot in the lunchtime kick-off, while Rangers had booked their place in the next round with a straightforward 4-0 win over Stirling Albion. Hibs progressed on Thursday night with a narrow 1-0 victory over Cove Rangers.

The draw for the fifth round will take place after the conclusion of the Alloa v Celtic tie on Saturday evening.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code