Scots athletes have reacted to news that the Olympic Games will not take place this summer, with the decision backed by those who had been planning to compete in Tokyo.
The International Olympic Committee announced on Tuesday that the games would be pushed back as the world grapples with the coronavirus pandemic.
Athletes who have been training hard to peak in July now have to put their dreams on hold but told STV that the cancellation was the right move.
Zoey Clark, who was working towards competing in the 400m, said people’s health had to come first.
“I think it’s definitely the right decision to make,” she told STV. “It’s a scary situation that we’re all in right now and the safety of everyone is definitely the number one concern.
“It’s good to have closure and we know definitely what’s going to happen now. It’s obviously massively disappointing not to try and go for the Olympics this year but I do think it is the best decision.”
Badminton player Kirsty Gilmour took a similar view, saying “I think postponement is the way to go.
“Things are so uncertain right now.
“I think it’s the correct decision for athletes, for spectators, for the Japanese public and for everyone involved in the Olympic Games. I think we can have a full, perfectly run Olympic Games at a better date.
“It puts me at ease a little bit that we know at least.”