Scotland beat England at Twickenham to retain Calcutta Cup

The win is Scotland's second at Twickenham in three years after waiting nearly 40 years for one.

Scotland have defeated England to retain the Calcutta Cup and go three games unbeaten at Twickenham for the first time in history.

Gregor Townsend’s men ran out 29-23 winners at the home of the Auld Enemy in their Six Nations opener on Saturday.

It’s the second time in three years that Scotland have won London after waiting nearly 40 years for a victory there.

They are also unbeaten at Twickenham since 2017 in a run that includes a draw and now two victories.

Scotland claimed the opening try of the match in the 15th minute through Huw Jones

A clever kick from midfield partner Sione Tuipulotu opened up England’s defence and Jones raced clear to pounce on the loose ball, with Finn Russell adding the extras to make it 7-0.

England responded well to the early setback, culminating in Max Malins claiming the opening try of the Borthwick era.

Scotland's Jamie Ritchie is tackled by England's Lewis Ludlam.SNS Group

Following incessant home pressure, Marcus Smith exploited the space with a high, cross-field kick, allowing the diving Malins to finish in the right corner and register his first international score.

Farrell was off target with the conversion, leaving Scotland 7-5 ahead.

Scotland stretched their lead to 12-5 just before the half-hour mark courtesy of stunning solo try from Duhan Van Der Merwe.

The Edinburgh wing collected the ball just inside his own and held off five England tackles en route to crossing.

Russell’s conversion attempt came back off the left post.

Malins claimed his second try of the afternoon to bring England within touching distance at 12-10 behind just before the interval.

Quick ball to the right wing stretched the Scottish defence and Malins sidestepped the exposed Stuart Hogg before touching down.

Farrell was once again off target with the extras but the England skipper swiftly recovered to slot over a straightforward penalty, which put the hosts 13-12 in front at the end of an opening period which left Borthwick with plenty to ponder.

Having taken the lead for the first time in the match with the final action of the first half, England stretched their advantage in the 48th minute.

Ellis Genge burrowed over to break Scottish resistance, before Farrell registered his first successful conversion of the afternoon to put the home side 20-12 ahead.

But the cushion did not last long as Scotland scrum-half Ben White dived over at the other end minutes later, with Russell’s conversion bringing Townsend’s men back to within a single point.

England remained a point ahead at 23-22 with just over 20 minutes to play after Farrell and Russell exchanged penalties.

Scotland regained the advantage with 15 minutes remaining after Van Der Merwe burst through a host of England tackles wide on the left to touch down his second try.

Russell nailed a tricky conversion to put his country 29-23 in front.

And the Scots dug in defensively to retain the Calcutta Cup with a memorable win.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code