Rangers run out 3-2 winners in controversial Scottish Cup tie at Ibrox

The Ibrox side allowed Thistle to walk in an equaliser after Malik Tillman scored a controversial second goal.

Rangers run out 3-2 winners in controversial Scottish Cup tie at Ibrox SNS Group

Rangers beat Partick Thistle 3-2 in the Scottish Cup in a controversy-laden afternoon at Ibrox.

Michael Beale instructed his team to allow Scott Tiffoney to walk the ball into the net for an equaliser after Partick Thistle complained Malik Tillman had been unsportsmanlike when scoring.

The visitors had led through Kevin Holt after a VAR-awarded penalty before Antonio Colak headed Rangers level from a Raskin cross after the break.

Captain James Tavernier had a penalty saved at 1-1 before the most controversial moment of the last-16 encounter.

Rangers put the ball out of play after Malik Tillman pulled up with a knock and, after the restart, the American nipped in front of Holt before evading chasing defenders and Sneddon to put the ball into the net.

A melee followed on the pitch with the furious visitors feeling the Rangers forward had stolen the ball just as they were about to kick it to the home defence.

The Rangers manager then appeared to instruct his players to allow Thistle to equalise, which resulted in a furious Ibrox watch Tiffoney saunter through unopposed to round Alan McGregor and score.

Beale and Ian McCall shared a handshake before the decisive goal of the game in the 86th minute.

Borna Barisic swung in a corner that created confusion in the Thistle box, before the net bulged with what appeared to be a Sands header but replays later suggested Thistle’s McAvoy may have carried it over the line.

Rangers now move on to the quarter finals of the tournament.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code