Rangers reach cup final with comeback victory over Celtic amid late drama

Three penalties were awarded in an eventful second-half on Friday night.

Rangers reach SWPL Cup final with comeback victory over Celtic SNS Group

Rangers have reached the SWPL Cup final after coming back from a goal down to beat Celtic amid late spot kick drama on Friday night.

Kathy Hill and Kirsty MaClean struck in the second-half after Chloe Craig had put the Hoops ahead from the penalty spot.

Craig then stepped up again to equalise in the last minute when Elena Sadiku’s side were awarded a second penalty.

But just as it looked as though the game was heading to extra-time a third penalty of the match was awarded, this time to Rangers and Rio Hardy kept her composure to hand Jo Potter’s side the win in the fifth minute of injury time

It is the second time this season that the SWPL league leader have got the better of their city rivals.

The game was still goalless at half-time after a cagey first 45 minutes at the Excelsior stadium with both teams having few real chances.

Kathy Hill came close with an early header but it was cleared off the line by the Celtic defender.

Rachel Rowe, twice, Chelsea Cornett and Rio Hardy all had chances for Rangers for the first-half were unable to cause Hoops goalkeeper Daughtery any real problems.

Shen Mengyu and Barclais had Celtic’s best chances of the half but it remained goalless going into the second 45.

But it burst into life after the break and the deadlock was broken ten minutes after the restart when Chloe Craig struck from the penalty spot to score the first goal of the Elena Sadiku era and put Celtic ahead 1-0.

The spot-kick was awarded after a handball in the box.

Jo Potter’s side then had a good period of possession as they looked for an equaliser and Daugherty made a fine double save to keep the Hoops in front.

But Hill grabbed the leveller soon after to make it 1-1 going into the last 20 minutes of the game.

Rangers then got themselves in front on the 80th minute through a Kirsty MaClean strike.

Hardy cut the ball back to find Maclean who fired it past Daugherty to make it 2-1 going into the closing stages.

Just as it looked as though Rangers had secured their place in the final the referee pointed to the spot again and threw Celtic a lifeline after a rash challenge in the box in the last minute of the 90.

Craig stepped up to the plate again and struck a fine spot-kick into the bottom corner giving the goalkeeper no chance to make it 2-2.

However there was further drama when the ref pointed to the spot for the third time of the game, this time up the other end, in the fifth minute of injury-time.

Hardy kept her cool and grabbed the winning goal and put Rangers into the final.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code