Rangers go back top of Premiership with win over Hibernian at Ibrox

Rangers move two points clear with eight games remaining in the race for the title.

Rangers go back top of Premiership with win over Hibernian at Ibrox SNS Group

Rangers have defeated Hibs at Ibrox to reclaim top spot in the Premiership in the league’s return after the international break.

Captain James Tavernier scored the opener with a volley just a few minutes after he had a penalty saved before Myziane Maolida equalised.

But Cyriel Dessers restored the lead with a header in first half injury-time to make it 2-1 going into the break and Rabbi Matondo added a third at the end of the second.

The treble-chasing home side now move two points ahead of Celtic at the top until at least Sunday when the Hoops play Livingston.

Both sides now have eight games to play including another two Old Firm derbies starting with a clash at Ibrox next weekend as the race for the title gathers pace.

It was a cagey opening ten minutes with both sides having sights of goals without testing the respective goalkeepers.

Joe Newell had his shot blocked by a Rangers defender before Scott Wright and John Lundstram both volleyed efforts wide of the post up the other end.

Mohamed Diomande had the first shot on target when his curling effort from distance was well saved by David Marshall.

But referee David Dickenson was then called over to the VAR monitor over a clash between Triantis and Souttar in the area and he pointed to the spot after a quick review.

Tavernier’s spot kick was saved by Marshall and Wright was the quickest to respond to the rebound and he turned the ball into the net.

However after another VAR review the officials decided that the goal would not count due to Wright encroaching into the box before the kick was taken.

But there was no denying Tavernier just a few minutes later when arrived at the back post to volley past Marshall and make it 1-0.

Hibs were back level in first-half injury time after Youan showed a burst of pace to get down the right hand side before cutting it back to Maolida who done well to keep it under control before slotting past Butland to make it 1-1.

Dessers nearly had Rangers back in front instantly but his close range header was well saved by Marshall but the Nigerian forward got his 17th of the season just moments later to restore the lead and make it 2-1 to the home side at half-time.

After the restart Cantwell had an effort saved by Marshall before Tavernier fired wide of the post as did Maolida up the other end.

Both sides made changes on the hour mark with Nathan Moriah-Welsh and Jair Tovares coming on in the place of Triantes and Le Fondre for the visitors and Tom Lawrence and Dujon Sterling replacing Cantwell and Wright for the hosts.

Dessers then came close when he fired a close range effort wide when he really should have scored and all but sealed the three points for Rangers.

Nick Montgomery then called on Martin Boyle as he was introduced into the action after an injury layoff and he used his pace to create a chance for Tavares who ballooned his effort over the bar.

Likewise Philippe Clement brought Abdallah Sima and Matondo on as a pair of fresh legs to help them see out the last 15 minutes.

And it was the Welsh winger who sealed the victory with a strike past Marshall to make it 3-1 with just over five minutes remaining.

He done well to go past the defender before curling in an effort from the edge of the area to all but end Hibs hopes.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code