Rangers come back from goal-down to beat Kilmarnock at Rugby Park

The league leaders were a goal down at half-time but fought back to take all three points in the second.

Rangers have come back from a goal down to beat Kilmarnock at Rugby Park and stay top of the Premiership on Wednesday night.

Danny Armstrong put Killie ahead from the penalty spot in the first-half before James Tavernier levelled from a free-kick early in the second.

Tom Lawrence then put the visitors ahead on the hour mark and that was enough to seal all three-points and keep them two points ahead of Celtic at the top.

Fabio Silva and Connor Goldson both had early chances for Philippe Clement’s side but the forward’s shot was deflected wide before Will Dennis saved the defender’s header.

Liam Donnelly had Kilmarnock’s first chance when he was first to meet a corner into the box but glanced his headed effort wide of the post.

But the home side who were handed the opportunity to take an early lead not long after that chance when the referee pointed to the spot on the tenth minute.

And Armstrong blasted his penalty down the middle of Jack Butland’s goals to make it 1-0.

The spot-kick was awarded after a handball in the box from midfielder John Lundstram on the tenth minute.

Chances were few and far between in the first-half with Oscar Cortes trying his luck with a long-range effort that was well saved.

Clement made a double change at the break with Cyriel Dessers and Ridvan Yilmaz brought on in place of Borna Barisic and Silva.

Killie almost doubled their lead early in the second-half but Butland made a great save from Matt Kennedy who looked certain to score.

But Rangers got themselves level soon after through Tavernier who made it 1-1 from a long-range free-kick.

And it was 2-1 to the visitors when a shot from Dessers was deflected in to the path of Lawrence who struck past Dennis to put the league leaders in front for the first time.

They looked to take advantage of a good period in the game and came close to increasing their advantage when Dessers hit the cross-bar on the hour-mark.

Mohamed Diomande then came close with just over ten minutes remaining as the Ibrox side looked to secure the three points.

It’s Motherwell at Ibrox up next for Rangers on Saturday as the title race begins to really heat up going in to the last ten games.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code