Rangers beat Livi at Ibrox to secure semi-final spot in League Cup

A place in the semi-finals was on the line at Ibrox on Wednesday night.

Rangers beat Livingston at Ibrox to secure semi-final spot in League Cup SNS Group

Rangers continued their hunt for the first silverware of the season with a 4-0 Viaplay Cup quarterfinal win over Livingston at Ibrox.

They led 1-0 at half-time through an early Abdallah Sima strike after a dominant first 45 then survived a few nervy moments in the second before securing their place in the semi-finals with a strike from Ridvan Yilmaz.

It was three with five minutes to go with Sima involved again when his shot was deflected past the Livingston goalkeeper to put the game well and truly beyond David Martindale’s side.

And Ryan Jack made it 4-0 in injury-time to put icing on the cake of an emphatic win for the home support in a wet and windy night in Glasgow

Overall the home side were well worth the win with Jack Butland hardly involved in the game at all as they look to add to their 27 League Cup titles.

Last season’s finalists are now just two wins away from winning the trophy for the first time since 2011 and will be heavy favourites for the competition.

After being booed by a section of the support for their performance against Motherwell on Sunday, Rangers were looking to get off to a fast start and they nearly had the opener after seven minute when James Tavernier came close.

But the captain’s effort was well saved by Livingston goalkeeper Shamal George.

The home side did have the ball in the net two minutes when later when Sima brushed past Jamie Brandon and curled the ball into the top corner to make it 1-0.

It was the forward’s fourth goal since joining on loan from Brighton and it initially looking as if the forward had pushed the Livi right-back but referee Willie Collum and Nick Walsh on VAR decided it should stand.

Michael Beale’s side, who are heavy favourites to win the trophy with holders Celtic no longer involved, dominated the opening stages as they looked to put the game to bed early.

Former Rangers youngster Stephen Kelly nearly dealt his old side a sucker punch against the run of play when he fired wide after Livingston’s first notable attack of the game on the half-hour mark.

Other than that fleeting attack from the visitors, Rangers were pretty much in cruise control for the first 45, with Jack Butland not having a save to make, but they only had one goal to show for their dominance going into the break.

Nigerian forward Cyriel Dessers, who scored the winner against Motherwell on Sunday, was brought on for Kemar Roofe for the second half.

Livingston looked more livelier after the break as they pushed for an equaliser with the home support starting to get a bit nervy as the minutes ticked away with still only the single goal lead.

Rangers continued to push for the killer second goal and they won a couple of back-to-back corners before Sima had a shot saved by George and Lundstram had a shot just over the bar shortly after as the game approached the hour-mark.

Hearts were in mouths again after Nouble made a great run past Tavernier before having his shot blocked and Obileye’s header was just inches past the post from the resulting corner.

But the game was put to bed soon after when left-back Yilmaz left the keeper with no chance when his shot from outside the box found the back of the net to make it 2-0 after a darting run from his own half.

Sima was involved again when his deflected shot found its way past George with five minutes to make it 3-0 before Jack made it four in injury time.

They will now play Hearts at the national stadium with the winners playing whoever comes through Aberdeen vs Hibs in December’s final.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code