Late Morelos double helps Rangers beat St Mirren in Ibrox win

Rangers scored three late goals after St Mirren hit back twice.

Late Morelos double helps Rangers beat St Mirren in Ibrox win SNS Group

Three late goals helped Rangers get back to winning ways with a 5-2 victory over St Mirren at Ibrox on Saturday afternoon.

Stephen Robinson’s men fought back from a goal down twice but it wasn’t enough to gain an all important point in the southside of Glasgow.

An unstoppable double from in form Marc O’Hara ruled out goals from Todd Cantwell and Fashion Sakala after a missed penalty from James Tavernier in the opening stages.

But a late quick fire double from Alfredo Morelos on the 80 minute mark was enough to seal all three points for Rangers before Scott Arfield put the icing on the cake to make it 5-2 in the dying stages.

Rangers were looking to get back to winning ways after their losing their first league game under Michael Beale’s tenure in the 3-2 defeat to Celtic.

But the Paisley side were also looking for the point that would secure their place in the top six with a game to go until the split.

James Tavernier had a chance to put the home side ahead from the penalty spot within the first five minutes but his effort was saved by Trevor Carson.

The Rangers captain is sitting on 100 goals for the club after his double in last week’s defeat at Celtic Park but he was unable to make it 101 after Raskin was fouled by Gogic in the box.

But Michael Beale’s men were when Todd Cantwell put the ball in the net for his second goal of the season on the 26th minute.

Despite having the lion’s share of possession in the first half Rangers were unable to make it count and they were punished for not doubling their lead when O’Hara struck a fantastic volley past Allan McGregor in first half of injury time.

Fashion Sakala made it 2-1 at the start of the second half before O’Hara struck with another one to remember as he smashed the ball into the bottom corner to make it 2-2 with 25 minutes to go.

Morelos scored to put Rangers ahead again with ten minutes remaining before grabbing another just moments later to make sure of the win.

The goal was initially ruled out but stood after a lengthy VAR check deemed it to be onside.

Arfield then put the ball through the keeper’s legs for his ninth goal of the season to give Rangers a three goal lead.

The win means they cut the gap at the top of the league to nine points with leaders Celtic playing Kilmarnock at Rugby Park on Sunday.

St Mirren are now only two points ahead of seventh placed Livingston, meaning they will need to take at least a point at home against Kilmarnock to guarantee a top half finish.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code